The announcement comes as Kim Jong-un's reclusive state unveiled a propaganda video appearing to show missiles blowing up a US city.
The commander of the USS Carl Vinson strike group said the flotilla would spend another 30 days at sea, following confusion over whether or not the group had been heading towards North Korean waters.
Mr Trump's administration appeared to blame defence officials for mistakenly suggesting the aircraft carrier group was immediately diverted to the Korean peninsula after leaving Singapore on April 8.
The USS Carl Vinson's deployment has been extended
The US defence ministry acknowledged that the ships had actually been travelling into the Indian Ocean to carry out manoeuvres with Australian forces – adding that they had only recently embarked on their journey north.
White House press secretary Sean Spicer said: “We said it was heading there. It was heading there and it is heading there.
“All other questions should be asked of the ministry of defence.”
The extended deployment was announced by Admiral James Kilby, the strike group commander, via Facebook.
The naval officer said: “Our mission is to reassure allies and our partners.”
Photos from North Korea during celebration of the birth of late leader Kim Il Sung
Wed, April 19, 2017
Covering a North Korean military parade is an emotional roller coaster, a visual and sensory barrage of socialist-realist propaganda
1 of 23
North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un (R) attending a military parade in Pyongyang marking the 105th anniversary of the birth of late North Korean leader Kim Il-Sung
There are growing concerns in Asia over North Korea’s nuclear ambitions, with Kim Jong-un saying he is ready for war if provoked the US.
During the recent Day of the Sun parade in the capital, North Korea flexed its military muscle with a flamboyant show of aggression.
The country displayed a number of new long-range and submarine-based missiles during the bizarre annual parade that marks the birth of the hermit state’s founding father.