A blind smoker died in a huge fireball after topping up his cigarette lighter with fuel
Bachelor Gordon Frederick Tallentire, 74, was blind from birth and spent most of his day in the armchair at his care assisted flat in Penrith, Cumbria.
Coroner Miss Kally Cheema heard before the tragedy concerns were raised about his "hazardous chain-smoking habits" and easy-to-reach lighter fuel cans.
The hearing in Cockermouth, Cumbria, heard carers were so worried about the lighter fuel, Mr Tallentire was recently given a fire-retardant blanket.
But last November 12th as he puffed on his pipe he decided to refill his lighter from the pressurised can – sparking an explosion that left a gaping hole in his front room.
Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service station manager William Richardson said a fire was sparked initially by Mr Tallentire refilling the lighter.
But the explosion happened later from a 'back-draft' – when firefighters entered the flat and caused a fresh flow of oxygen to enter the room.
A statement grieving brother Brian Tallentire explained how he moved to the assisted flat at Lonsdale Court, in Penrith, in 2005.
He had previously lived in the town with another brother and their mother, who died in 2003 and 2004 respectively.
Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service station manager said a fire was sparked initially by Mr Tallentire
He kept his pipe, lighter and lighter fuel within arm’s reach
Miss Cheema heard how Brian Tallentire had very little contact with 'Fred' other than a phone call at Christmas.
Shirley Eves, a care home assistant at Lonsdale Court, and senior care worker Andrea Banks, were both at work on the morning of Mr Tallentire's death.
In a statement, Miss Eves confirmed that Mr Tallentire "chain smoked" from a pipe.
Asked by Miss Cheema what she meant, she replied: "Every time I went in he was in his chair smoking his pipe."
Mrs Banks told how concerns were raised by staff after noticing 'burn' marks on Mr Tallentire's chair, which were caused by his smoking.
She told Miss Cheema: "Management contacted the fire brigade because they were concerned about the scorch marks on the chair."
On the tragic morning he died staff dialled 999 after a smoke alarm went off.
Fire chief Mr Richardson said the blaze victim owned a large collection of CDs and vinyl records, which were close to his chair and added extra fuel to the inferno.
He said: "He kept his pipe, lighter and lighter fuel within arm's reach.
"There were a large amount of CDs and vinyls adjacent to where the fire started.
"There had been a previous incident where he had set fire to his remote control. Mr Tallentire used a canister to refill the lighter.
Brian Tallentire explained how he moved to the assisted flat at Lonsdale Court
"There were a number of fluid cans in the flat that had exploded.
"This is what would have caused the popping sound heard by neighbours."
Regarding the explosion, Mr Richardson said a "backdraft" was caused when rescuers opened the door, adding: "Air got into the flat and caused an explosion.
"The fire had used up all the oxygen. The room was only four metres by four metres and the windows were closed.
"The oxygen reacted with the combustion in the air, causing the explosion."
Miss Cheema recorded a verdict of accidental death, explaining that Mr Tallentire died from "thermal injuries with fire smoke inhalation."