Many residents in Nice have reacted in outrage to the dismantlement of the makeshift memorials built in homage to the victims of the truck attack last year.
Local officials approved the swift removal in order to make way for a hotly-anticipated tourist city carnival.
However, many feel the removal shows disrespect to the 86 victims killed after Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel ploughed a truck into a crowd watching Bastille Day.
Politicians insist that they only went ahead with the plan with "permission from the victim's families" – but many were present at the removal to protest the "insensitivity".
Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel ploughed a truck into a crowd watching Bastille Day last year, killing 86
Truck that was driven into the crowd last year
Future plans for the memorial have yet to been determined but officials want the objects to be archived and digitised.
The makeshift memorial emerged spontaneously after the terror rampage last year, with people leaving flowers, drawings and toys.
This turned the seaside promenade into a makeshift walkway memorial.
But, for some locals of the community, the memorial's removal was too painful to bare.
One woman, who broke down in tears, said: "No, I can't understand, I can't understand why the town isn't building a Plexiglas dome to protect this space.
"It's our space, it belongs to the people of Nice; it's our suffering.
"Why are they doing this?"
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
For some members of the community, the removal of the memorial was too painful to watch
I can't understand why the town isn't building a Plexiglas dome to protect this space
But another, Annie Piveteau, understood the removal and said: "Being from Nice, being in solidarity with my town, and having two cousins who survived the tragedy, I just had to be there to preserve everything that was placed."
The King’s Carnival is the biggest event in the coastal Mediterranean town since the deadly Islamist attack.
Around 390,000 visitors are expected to join in with the festivities which run until February 25.
Local officials approved the swift removal in order to make way for a city carnival Pray for Nice: The world pays tribute to victims of Bastille Day attack Mon, July 18, 2016
Gabby Logan, Simon Cowell and Justin Timberlake lead tributes to the 84 victims of the horrific terrorist attack in Nice, France on Bastille Day.
Play slideshow REUTERS 1 of 37
A general view shows the crowd gathering on the Promenade des Anglais during a minute of silence on the third day of national mourning to pay tribute to victims of the truck attack in Nice
Christian Estrosi, president of the Riviera regional government that has responsibility for Nice, said exceptional security measures would be in place for this year's carnival.
The right-wing president said cancelling the carnival would be "unthinkable".
He said: "That would be a sign to the barbarians, to the terrorists, that they would have scored another victory."
Top regional administrator Georges-Francois Leclerc said: "Never has the level of security been so high for an event of this kind in Nice."
Some 200 police will man 36 entry points to the venue, which will be totally enclosed for the event.
- '35 TONNE' trucks to shield Times Square from Berlin-style NYE attacks
- ISIS was planning second Nice attack
- Terror-stricken Nice prepares for first carnival amid secuity