Donald Trump signed a new travel ban order this week
US District Court Judge Derrick Watson announced the state would be allowed to file an amended complaint against the new order, which temporarily bans refugees and travellers from six Muslim-majority countries.
The judge in Hawaii federal court said that the state could add to its initial lawsuit, which had challenged Trump's original ban signed in January.
The state is claiming a revised ban signed by the President on Monday violates the US Constitution.
The news comes just days after President Trump signed the new executive order for a revised travel ban, which excluded Iraqis.
Donald Trump issued a revised travel ban this week
However the order will continue to block entry to the US for citizens of Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Iran, Libya and Yemen.
The order, which will go into effect on March 16, will not revoke existing visas approved before that date and does not explicitly apply to current lawful permanent residents and green card holders.
But the revised order still seeks to curb the number of refugees allowed in to the United States — with no more than 50,000 being allowed in in 2017.
First 100 days of President Trump Tue, March 7, 2017
President Donald Trump is making a significant impact on global politics during his first term.
Play slideshow REUTERS 1 of 20
U.S. President Donald Trump arrives aboard Air Force One at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland
However Syrian refugees will get a new deal – after the old order indefinitely banned them from travel to the US.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Now under the revised ban, Syrian refugees are expected to be treated like other refugees and find themselves subject to a 120-day suspension of the US refugee programme.
The President’s first travel ban had been taken to court by the state of Washington and slapped down – yet Trump announced he would challenge the ruling and take the case to the Supreme Court.
Following the banning of the first travel ban last month, Donald Trump tweeted: “SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!”
And his second order could now face the same scrutiny following Hawaii's announcement today.
New York’s Attorney General Eric Schneiderman also said he was examining the new ban to see if he could lodge a legal challenge of his own.
Schneiderman said: “While the White House may have made changes to the ban, the intent to discriminate against Muslims remains clear.
“This doesn’t just harm the families caught in the chaos of President Trump’s draconian policies – it’s diametrically opposed to our values, and makes us less safe.”
This is a breaking news story. Please refresh your page for the latest updates.
More to follow…