A toddler narrowly escaped death after swallowing a battery that leaked acid into her stomach
Kacie Barradell, two, ingested the 10p-sized lithium cell battery which fell out of a button car key.
She has spent a total of eight weeks in hospital and her parents have been warned she might be paralysed from the waist down.
Her oesophagus is so badly burned she cannot eat or drink and is currently being fed through a tube.
Kacie's mother Cheryl Bell, 27, has been told it could be at least a month before her daughter is released from Birmingham Children's Hospital.
She said: “I'm going through hell and back.
“Kacie might not walk again for the rest of her life.
Cheryl Bell, 27, and two-year-old Kacie
“She is getting there but she has still not been able to eat anything.
It was horrendous, we thought we were going to lose her
“I took her into hospital and she wasn't breathing, we thought she was going to have an asthma attack.
“I want to warn other parents what damage the batteries can do. Kacie is lucky she survived.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
“The acid from the battery burned through her stomach and two arteries in her back which has left her unable to walk.
“She could have died and she would have if it hadn't been for them.
The child ingested the 10p-sized lithium cell battery which fell out of a button car key
“I want to get the message out there about how dangerous button batteries are.“
Mrs Bell realised something was wrong with Kacie when she saw her rolling around in agony at their home in Pear Tree, Derby, on February 10.
She said: “I knew something was wrong because she had diarrhoea and vomiting which didn't stop so we took her to Derby Hospital.
“The doctor woke me up at three in the morning to tell me that she had swallowed a lithium battery.
It could be at least a month before her daughter is released from Birmingham Children's Hospital Household appliances that could be dangerous Mon, September 5, 2016
From ovens to tumble dryers, here are the home appliances most likely to catch fire according to a Which? investigation.
Getty Images 1 of 11
Here are the proportion of fires caused by faulty home appliances between 2011-2014
“I started screaming, I started crying, and that day they rushed us over to Nottingham Hospital.
“The battery was removed on February 19.
“We were there for eight days before she was discharged.
“On March 3 she started vomiting the blood with blood clots and we had to rush her to hospital again.
“I was devastated, I couldn't believe it was happening to me.
Cheryl Bell, 27, and daughter two-year-old Kacie Barradell
“They had no beds at Nottingham this time so the transferred us to Birmingham Children's Hospital.
“They did a CT scan and then there was a six-and-a-half hour operation to repair the arteries at the bottom of her back and her oesophagus.
“There was 40 per cent chance she wouldn't survive the operation but obviously, I have made the right choice for her to have it done.
“I have got my little girl back.
“She is only the second child in the world to have survived it according to Birmingham Children's Hospital.
It was horrendous, we thought we were going to lose her.”