Theresa May could be forced to quell another SNP attempt to leave the Union
Downing Street is in talks with senior Tories in Scotland to deal with another push for independence from the SNP, which Dundee newspaper The Courier claims is “only weeks away”.
A senior Tory source told the newspaper: “This is about making sure we are calm and collected ahead of any negotiations.”
- 'The SNP IGNORES referendum results' Party SLAMMED on Question Time
- Fresh Brexit blow for Sturgeon as MPs DISMISS Article 50 amendments
The news comes after a BMG survey commissioned for the Herald newspaper suggests Scots are evenly split on independence following Theresa May’s Brexit speech last month.
The survey revealed that 49 per cent support leaving the Union while 51 per cent oppose Scottish independence when the ‘don’t know’ votes are removed.
Ross Greer, a Scottish Green’s lawmaker whose party is a key ally of the SNP, claimed the timing of a new Scottish referendum would be determined in part by Brexit.
Sturgeon pictured in Holyrood yesterday
Greer, who was a key campaigner in the 2014 vote which saw Scots reject independence by a 10 per cent margin, said: "We are working on a timescale now where Article 50 (which triggers Britain leaving the European Union) will be activated next month – that's the timescale when it will almost certainly become clear whether there's going to be a referendum or not.
Scotland’s last independence referendum was less than three years ago, with a majority of 55.3 per cent voting to remain part of the UK.
Scotland Referendum Fri, September 19, 2014
More than 3.6m people turned out to vote in the Scottish independent referendum, resulting in a 'No' vote with 55.3%.Here we take a look at the public's reaction.
AFP/Getty 1 of 52
Pro-Union supporters celebrate as Scottish referendum polling results are announced at the Royal Highland Centre in Edinburgh, Scotland, on September 19, 2014
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon suffered yet another Brexit blow after MPs overwhelmingly voted down an SNP amendment calling for the triggering of Article 50 to be delayed until at least a month after the devolved nations agree to a UK-wide approach for Britain’s EU exit.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
The SNP-led clause was defeated by 332 votes to 62 – a majority of 270.
The news comes as Theresa May's Brexit bill looks set to sail through the Commons without amendments
In yet more bad news for Sturgeon and the SNP, the Scottish Government, the Welsh Assembly and the Northern Irish Assembly will not be given an additional month to debate Theresa May’s Brexit plan before Article 50 is triggered.
Sturgeon has been very clear about her desire to keep Scotland in the single market and if the UK Government opts for a hard Brexit it could lead the way for another independence vote.
- Aggresive Sturgeon fuels talk of second independence vote
- The people Sturgeon forgot: The Scottish areas that voted FOR Brexit
- Left-wing Scottish alliance vote against Brexit – but it’s MEANINGLESS