StarCraft is a free download, including the Brood War expansion
Fans can grab the StarCraft free download, having been released as part of a new update for the game.
StarCraft was patched for the first time in over 8 years today by Blizzard, making the game available to everyone, including the Brood War expansion.
The development team have also warned fans that when patching, to use the ‘Run as Admin’ option; it is required during the first client run to migrate saves and avoid issues from Windows system admin changes.
There is also a number of changes being made to the game and various bug fixes deployed, the full list can be found at the bottom of the article.
It all appears part of the big warmup before the release of StarCraft Remastered, which was announced by Blizzard last month.
StarCraft Remastered Fri, March 17, 2017
StarCraft Remastered has been announced for launch summer 2017
Play slideshow BLIZZARD 1 of 7
StarCraft Remastered announced by Blizzard
The StarCraft: Remastered will offer a full graphical overhaul of the original StarCraft and the StarCraft: Brood War expansion, although Blizzard have stressed that no big gameplay changes will be made.
“StarCraft is a pure distillation of Blizzard’s DNA—its story, its balance, and all the little details reflect our long-running commitment to epic entertainment, and it’s been a staple in competitive gaming and esports for almost 20 years,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment.
“With StarCraft: Remastered, we’re modernising the original game’s visuals, audio, and online support to ensure that players can enjoy StarCraft for another 20 years and beyond.”
Other updates will include new 4K functionality, illustrations to enhance storytelling in the StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War campaign missions; advanced matchmaking; full connectivity to Blizzard’s gaming network for social features and updates; cloud saving for campaign progress, custom maps, replays, and keybinds and support for eight new languages in addition to the original five.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
While the exact StarCraft Remastered release date and price has yet to be announced, a summer launch is on the cards.
- Overwatch NEWS: Blizzard update will fix the game's biggest problem
- StarCraft Remastered: Exact release date – Price unknown, 4K confirmed
StarCraft 1.18 Patch Notes:
- Added windowed fullscreen or windowed mode; Alt+Enter switches between
- Added UTF-8 support
- Added cursor clamping in-game while windowed; unclamped in menus
- Added Popular Maps to streamline finding games or game types
- Added options to display actions per minute
- Added Observer mode
- Added opponent information when joining a game lobby
- Added autosaving for replays
- Added an option to display game time
- Added UPnP support
- Updated to a new OpenGL backend
- Improved gameplay responsiveness during multiplayer by increasing turn rate to match LAN speeds over Battle.net
- Improved UI layout in Battle.net sections
- Improved behavior of available lobbies within the ‘Join Game’ section
- Improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
- Improved anticheat capabilities
- Improved installation and patching performance
- Mac Beta now available for 10.11 and up
- Fixed palette issues to correct rainbow water, 80s Kerrigan face in the loading screen, and other graphic glitches
- Fixed problems with LAN game discovery
- Fixed IME support and other text artifacts in Battle.net menus
- LAN and Legacy Battle.net fixes
- The profile section is currently unavailable
- Some chat commands are still being updated to play nice in the updated chat system
- Friends location is being improperly displayed
- Password games will often return bad password trying to join