PA • GETTY
Southern Railway drivers are expected to accept a deal to end a long-running dispute
Members of Aslef are being balloted on an agreement thrashed out during 11 days of talks aimed at resolving a row over driver-only trains, which has led to strikes including the one earlier this year.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport union attacked the deal as a "shocking betrayal" of workers and passengers.
- Southern Railway to restore 'full train service'
- Southern Railway and Aslef thrash deal to end travel misery
But Aslef's assistant general secretary Simon Weller said there had been a "misunderstanding", insisting significant gains had been achieved.
He told the Press Association: "We wanted a second, safety-critical person on trains, and that is what we have got.
Mick Cash says he will take part in fresh talks over the role of conductors
"There will be some exceptions, such as when someone is taken ill or delayed on their way to work, but they are broadly the same as they have always been.
"It is the arrangement we have with conductors under the old system."
The Southern Railway union has warned the vote will be affected by their ‘mistrust’ of the company
We wanted a second, safety-critical person on trains
If an on-board supervisor (OBS) – the new role for guards on Southern – is delayed, a train can leave, but the company will have to book on a replacement, said Mr Weller.
He said original plans for drivers to operate trains on their own in the event of further strikes by RMT members were opposed by Aslef and had been dropped.
"They wanted driver-only operation but they have not got driver-only operation."
Southern Fail: Commuters mock service in these hilarious tweets Wed, August 31, 2016
15 of the funniest tweets from angry Southern commuters.
1 of 16
Mr Weller said he believed the 900 members of Aslef involved in the dispute will vote to accept the deal, but he warned there was a lot of mistrust towards Southern which could affect the outcome.
Aslef officials will explain the deal to a mass meeting of drivers on Tuesday night.
Members of Aslef are being balloted on an agreement thrashed out during 11 days of talks
RMT leader Mick Cash has written to Charles Horton, the chief executive of Southern's owners Govia Thameslink Railway, saying he will take part in fresh talks over the role of conductors.
He also sent a circular to RMT members criticising the Aslef deal.
- MORE TRAVEL CHAOS: Southern strikes bring commuter misery to London
- More misery for commuters as Southern Railway drivers strike AGAIN
- Southern strikes: Union suspends walkout