Abedi was filmed by security cameras just before he blew himself up at Manchester Arena, killing 22 men, women and children who had been attending an Ariana Grande gig at the venue.
The 22-year-old is picture casually dressed in jeans, trainers and a dark jacket, his features are partly obscured by a baseball cap and glasses.
On his back a rucksack is visible, which detectives believe could have held the explosive that tore through crowds exiting the packed venue after the gig was over.
Image of suicide bomber Salman Abedi issued by Manchester police
Greater Manchester Police did not reveal where the images were taken or at what stage of the evening and entirely blanked out the background of the images.
The CCTV images are the first to show what the 22-year-old looked like when he carried out the Manchester terror attack – the country's worst terror attack has seen for more than a decade.
Before arriving at the concert, which had attracted a young audience including many children, Abedi is believed to have put the final touches to his bomb in a city centre flat.
Sickening images reveal what's left of the Manchester bomb backpack Wed, May 24, 2017
The remains of the backpack that killed at least 22 people, with more than 60 injured after Salman Abedi detonated a bomb in the Manchester Arena, at 10:30pm Monday, 22 May 2017
PH 1 of 8
12-volt battery that was possible power source
Manchester police have issued security images of Salman Abedi
Police said they had built up a "detailed picture" of his movements since he returned to Britain on May 18, reportedly from his family's native Libya.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
The popular US singer has promised fans that she will return to Manchester to play a benefit concert “in honour of and to raise money for the victims and their family."
In an online letter to fans the 23-year-old said: "I don't want to go the rest of the year without being able to see and hold and uplift my fans, the same way they continue to uplift me."
Salman Abedi who is believed to have carried out the Manchester terror attack
While no official confirmation has been made it has been widely reported that the benefit gig is expected to be held on June 4.
Police also issued a further appeal to the public for information about Abedi's activity between the arrival in the UK and his suicide attack.
The force said in a statement: "We immediately established full command and control of the incident and within an hour of the attack taking place a specialist counter terrorism control room had been established with a first priority of identifying the attacker.
Mourners in Manchester pay tribute to the 22 people killed in the terror attack
"Specialist counter terrorist forensic teams were sent to try and identify the attacker and within two hours his identity was known."
The following investigation involved around 1,000 officers, as a huge operation was launched to suppress any further terror threats posed by Abedi's potential network.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline anonymously on 0800 789321.