The Tupolev Tu-22M3 bombers flew from Russia to the province of Deir ez-Zor, in the eastern part of the country, where they obliterated their targets, according to the Russian Defence Ministry.
The raid saw the Russian jets crossing Iranian and Iraqi airspace on Monday and conducted the airstrike on the jihadi’s common centres and weapons stockpiles, the ministry said in a statement.
“On January 24 six Tupolev-22M3 bombers took off from an airdrome in Russia to fly over territories of Iraq and Iran to eventually deal a massive air strike against ammunition and explosives production facility and weapons and ammunition depots of the Islamic State, as well as groups of IS military vehicles and equipment in Deir ez-Zor province,” the report reads.
All of the bombers have since returned to their base in Russia after fighter jets were scrambled from the Hmeymim air base to offer them protection for their Syrian bombing mission.
Russian bombers have targets ISIS weapons facilities in Syria
Bombers dealt a massive air strike against ammunition and explosives production facility
Russian Defence Ministry
Fighting has intensified between ISIS militants and government forces in the Deir ez-Zor area over the last week, as the jihadis dispatch additional fighters and weapons there in preparation for a major offensive in the area.
Dear ez-Zor sits in the oil-rich eastern province, which is mostly controlled by ISIS militants.
The extremist group has lost swathes of territory in northern Syria to Kurdish fighters as well as a Turkish-backed rebel alliance, but it remains on the offensive in other parts of the country.
Earlier, the Chief of the Main Operational Directorate, Lieutenant-General Sergei Rudskoy described the situation as complicated, with ISIS forces outnumber government fighters attempting to defend Deir ez-Zor.
He added that should the city fall for the grotesque jihadis, the local population would face the risk of genocide.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that after ISIS isolated the military airport in the region, the regime requested military enhancement and called on residents to participate in the fighting on the main fronts despite their lack of military training.
The British-based human rights monitor said on Tuesday that ten civilians were killed in air strikes on the Dier ez-Zor district of al-Ummal, which is held by ISIS, bringing the total number of civilians killed in the four-day ISIS offensive to 37.
The latest assault, which includes waves of suicide bombers, was the “most violent” attack on the city in more than a year, said the Observatory.
The fight against ISIS
Fri, November 18, 2016
The battle against ISIS militants (also abbreviated as Daesh, ISIL, IS and Islamic State) continues in the Middle East.
1 of 183
Forces battle against ISIS
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has called for unimpeded and unconditional access to children in the besieged city, adding that they have not received regular humanitarian aid for more than two years.
“UNICEF calls on all parties to the conflict in Syria to immediately lift all sieges and allow unimpeded and functional access to children in Deir ez-Zor and in all the 15 areas under siege across the country,” said Geert Cappelaere, UNICEF’s Regional Director.
According to the organisation, children in the area have come under intense attack in the past week, and indiscriminate shelling has reportedly killed scores of civilians and forces others to remain in their homes.
The escalation of violence, reportedly, threatens the lives of 93,000 civilians, including 40,000 children, who have been cut off from regular humanitarian aid for over two years.