Improvements to a missile launch site could escalate tensions between North Korea and the US
Satellite images of the Kalma test site near the east coast city of Wonsan has been upgraded after four Musudan Intermediate-Range Ballistic Missiles (IRBM) were tested at the site last year.
Now, a leading North Korean expert believes the site would be a “logical choice” for an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) test as the hermit nations continues to develop its nuclear capabilities.
Military expert Joseph Bermudez said: "Recent commercial satellite imagery indicates that Pyongyang has made a number of improvements at the site suggesting that it could support an ICBM launch if the North decides to go ahead.”
Access roads to the Kalma site have been regraded as well as an 11x11metre launchpad, suggesting the site could soon host bigger weapon tests than in previous years.
Meanwhile the second launchpad also appears to have been regarded meaning the site could soon host simultaneous missile launches.
Inside North Korea: Fascinating secret photos released
Wed, January 18, 2017
German photographer Martin Von Den Driesch has released images from his trip to North Korea in 2014. The 48-year-old was the only Westerner in the group of people allowed to tour the country with government minders. His images show the countries beaches and mountains, as well as photos of security areas and ones that officials asked him to delete.
1 of 19
Last week, Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook confirmed Washington was “ready” to tackle any threat from barbaric leader Kim Jong-un amid fears the hermit state could be preparing to test Trump in his first few days as leader.
US security sources admitted activity suggesting Kim is readying a nuclear missile launch has been detected in the secretive state.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Satellite images show the site of the nuclear facility
Recent commercial satellite imagery indicates that Pyongyang has made a number of improvements at the site suggesting that it could support an ICBM launch if the North decides to go ahead
The despotic dictator claimed Pyongyang is close to launching an upgraded version of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) during his New Year’s address.
While past threats have proved to be bogus, some military experts fear Kim could now pose a serious threat to international security.
The news comes just days after Donald Trump was inaugurated as the new US President
Intelligence agencies from South Korea claim they have evidence that missile parts – believed to be the lower-half of an ICBM – are being transported in preparations for an imminent test launch.
A source told South Korean media: "It was different from a conventional Musudan missile in its length and shape.
"It is possible they were moving it somewhere for assembly.”