The Sunday Express columnist cited the young age of children accompanying Lord Dubs to Downing Street with a petition last week and compared them to one particular photograph of an older male that he said had hardened the nation’s hearts.
A staggering 465 "child refugees” who were granted entry to Britain lied to officials to gain entry into the country in the periods between 2013-2014 and 2015-2016, official figures revealed last month.
Nick Ferrari said public opinion swayed after images of old-looking "child refugees"
It completely changed much of the the world’s view on that crisis
He said: “Remember the picture of that little boy washed up on the beach. It completely changed this nation’s view, in fact you could argue it completely changed much of the the world’s view on that crisis for a while.
“So, a picture does have that power. If you want to go back even further than that, the picture of the young girl running with her clothes literally burning from her body during the Vietnam War changed everybody’s views on the US use of napalm in that conflict.
“One picture, the power that picture has. Now I’m not saying the picture of this 32-year-old is on the same level but it did colour public opinion.”
- Nigel Farage claims 'most' refugees in Europe are 'ECONOMIC MIGRANTS'
- Italian mayor BLOCKS streets in protest against migrant arrivals
Ferrari added Lord Dubs, who took a petition of 50,000 signatures to Whitehall last week, was “nothing but well intentioned” and he was “doing all the right things for all the right reasons”.
Lord Dubs was joined by a group of young children when he arrived at Downing Street to hand in the petition, which calls on Theresa May to reconsider her position on the Dubs Amendment.
But Ferrari suggested these youngsters were very different to pictures previously seen in the media of “child refugees” entering Britain.
Children of the Refugee Crisis Tue, September 20, 2016
A photo report on the growing refugee crisis in Europe featuring children, some of who are orphans struggling to survive.
1 of 24
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
The government has abandoned its plans to rehouse 3,000 child refugees under the Dubs Amendment and is taking in just 350.
Ministers introduced the programme last year after coming under intense pressure to give sanctuary to lone children stranded on the continent.
A 29-year-old was among dozens of “child refugees” who were given asylum in the UK after migrants lied to officials and posed as youngsters to gain entry to Britain, official figures, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, have shown.
- Germany faces series of arsons as refugee centre goes up in flames
- Dresden monument condemned as 'tribute to radical Islam'
- BAFTAs 2017: Ken Loach BLASTS government over ‘callous brutality’