North Korea has mocked Donald Trump in an official statement
North Korea’s state media, which regularly vilified the then-President Obama has now hit out at the Trump administration accusing the new government of still failing to respond to Kim Jong-un’s threats.
An unnamed Foreign Ministry official from the communist nation has spoken out after Trump’s Secretary of State Rex Tillerson vowed America’s strategy towards Kim Jong-un would change.
But the official hit back claiming the Trump administration would be no different than Obama’s government.
North Korea test launched four missiles at the beginning of March
They told the North’s official Korean Central News Agency: “[Rex] Tillerson admitted the failure of the US efforts to denuclearise the DPRK [North Korea] for 20 years and end of Obama’s policy of ‘strategic patience’ during his recent tour.
“Now Tillerson is repeating what Obama touted… until he left the White House.”
Secret images released as North Korea prepares for war Tue, March 21, 2017
A look at North Korea's firepower as it pursues its nuclear and ballistic missile programs in defiance of the United States and its allies.
Play slideshow AFP/Getty Images 1 of 27
People watch news footage of a missile launch on a giant television screen outside the main railway station in Pyongyang on March 7, 2017
Now Tillerson is repeating what Obama touted… until he left the White House
North Korea Foreign Ministry official
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Kim Jong-un claimed at the beginning of this year that his country was close to testing an intercontinental ballistic missile, capable of reaching the United States.
President Donald Trump responded to the recent rocket engine test launch by saying Kim Jong-un was “acting very, very badly” but he has previously vowed to retaliate if North Korea’s nuclear capabilities continue to escalate.
But a security expert also claims the Trump administration will continue with Obama and other former presidents’ policy of “strategic patience”.
David Wright, co-director of the Global Security Program for the Union of Concerned Scientists said: “If you look at Tillerson’s full statements, they were much more of a continuation of current policy than has been portrayed in the press, with an emphasis on expanding sanctions.
Rex Tillerson speaking in South Korea about how America will change its respond to North Korea See the reaction as President Trump SURPRISES guests at the White House Thu, March 9, 2017
It was the first day of the White House tours to the public since President Trump was inaugurated
Play slideshow EPA 1 of 9
US President Donald J. Trump (2-R) greets Jack Cornish (R), 10, of Birmingham, Alabama, while Cornish is on a public group tour of the White House in Washington, DC, USA
“You can try to squeeze North Korea with more sanctions and maybe slow its program, but it’s hard to see how to stop it from moving ahead without diplomacy.”
Mr Wright added, Mr Tillerson’s remarks are completely in line with current and longstanding US policy, which was used by Obama, but the Secretary of State just said it more threateningly.
President Bill Clinton reportedly gave serious consideration to a pre-emptive strike over the nuclear issue in 1994.
The North Korean official also issued to a chilling warning in the nation’s state media.
The unnamed Foreign Ministry official said: “If the businessmen-turned-US authorities thought that they would frighten the DPRK, they would soon know that their method would not work.
“The nuclear force of the DPRK is the treasured sword of justice and the most reliable war deterrence to defend the socialist motherland and the life of its people.”