Nine asylum seekers from the same family have gone on trial for the New Year's gang rape (FILE PIC)
Prosecutors charge the Iraqi men with "abuse of a defenceless person and rape in a very humiliating and agonising way for the victim".
At the opening of the trial yesterday the court heard how the woman identified as Sabine K. was "blind drunk" when she went with the men to an apartment.
Most of them deny the charges but DNA proved that sperm from six of them was found in or on her body.
The court heard how the victim arrived in Vienna on December 28, 2015 to spend the New Year with a female friend in the city.
The asylum seekers have gone on trial in the Austrian capital Vienna
Shortly before midnight on December 31 they wandered into the city centre to joing milling crowds celebrating the arrival of 2016 and at 2.00am were seen drinking in a bar-restaurant called Cactus.
Shortly before 3.00am the friend of Sabine noticed she was no longer there and was told by another patron that the men she had been talking with had "taken her away."
The defendants, aged between 22 and 45, all arrived in Austris between May and December 2015 via the Balkan route.
At the time of the attack, five of them had cemented their right to stay, the applications of the other four were still pending.
Judge Petra Poschalko heard how the woman was taken by four of them to an apartment in Vienna's Rustenschacher Allee where five other men were waiting.
Sabine later said she found herself naked on a double bed being assaulted by the men one after the other.
Evidence as heard that said she was assaulted in the dark so she could not identify the men, according to her lawyer Karina Fehringer.
After the attacks, which went on for several hours, the victim needed in-patient treatment at a trauma clinic and now is under psychiatric care for post traumatic stress disorder.
She had another breakdown at the weekend and was too fragile to be in court to face her attackers.
After she went to police a tracking app on her phone led officers to the rape scene (FILE PIC)
Only one man, Mohamed Al-A., 31, admitted his role in the rapes and he sobbed in court and said he was "really drunk" on vodka at the time.
And he further admitted: "This act is a crime in Iraq."
He was with co-defendants Nazar Al-J., Mohammed Al-T. and Alaa Al-J. in the Cactus bar who took the victim back to the apartment.
Cologne: Sex Attacks and Robberies Tue, January 12, 2016
Thirty-one suspects, including 18 asylum seekers, are under investigation over offences including sexual assault and theft in Cologne on New Year's Eve. Far right protestors in Lepzig have rallied against refugees and German chancellor Angela Merkel.
Play slideshow Reuters•Getty 1 of 22
Protestors in Lepzig rally after over 100 women were sexually assualted on New Year's Eve
The other defendants – Hader Al-A., Mustafa Al-J., Nael Al-J., Marwan Al-J. und Sabah Al-J. – lay in wait for her there. Medical experts testified she was raped multiple times and sodomised.
The victim said she yelled at them, in German: "No, I don't want this."
Then in English: "Listen to me, just a little bit." Her attackers conversed only in Arabic.
Shortly before midnight they wandered into the city centre to join milling crowds (FILE PIC)
Alaa Al-J. was said to be the rape ringleader. After it was over Mohammed Al-. escorted her to a toilet in the flat where he took a selfie with her on his mobile phone.
Later he and Alaa Al-J. escorted her to a nearby tram stop where they tried to stem her sobbing by saying in English: "Don't cry."
After she went to police a tracking app on her mobile phone led officers to the rape scene. The app showed that her ordeal lasted from 4:20am to 6:20am on January 1 2016.
The court heard that with the exception of the man who confessed, none of the others feel guilty. Several denied rape in the face of the DNA evidence.
One man claimed that the woman had been "offered" to them by relatives: another that she was a willing participant in whatever took place.
Judge Poaschalko seemed visibly angered at the shifts in their stories throught Tuesday's hearing.
The court resumes again on Thursday and sentencing will be handed down on March 6.
She has warned them they face up to 15 years each in jail.