Miss Jones was dismantling an Amazon box when she discovered the dead tropical scorpion
Natasha Jones, from Kidderminster, Worcestershire, found the tropical scorpion as she was taking out the recycling – after the critter crawled into a package her fiancé had ordered from Amazon. The venomous arachnid had somehow made its way into a rucksack Natasha and fiancé Matt Strange had ordered through Amazon Prime the previous morning.
The mother-of-two said: "I didn't realise what it was at first, I just thought it was a dead spider.
"It was only when I saw the pincers in the bottom of the box that I realised it was a scorpion.
"It wasn't very nice at all, it's quite shocking."
Fiancé Matt Strange, a HGV driver, had ordered a £25 rucksack from Amazon Prime on Monday morning, January 16, which arrived shortly after 8pm that evening.
Natasha used Amazon prime to purchase a rucksack, believed to have come from the Far East
I'm just glad neither of the kids got hold of it and that it was actually dead.
Natasha Jones, Amazon customer
Miss Jones, a sales assistant, was taking out the recycling on Tuesday morning when she broke down the Amazon box and found the scorpion.
Mr Strange said: "We were watching TV in the dark when the rucksack came, so we just opened it up with the lights off.
"I was going to work at 2.30am, so I just put the rucksack in the kitchen and put the packaging on the side without really looking at it.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Shocking: Mother-of-two Miss Jones believes Amazon should've checked the parcel before sending it
"It wasn't until the morning when Natasha was sorting out the rubbish that she found it." Even though the couple had ordered the rucksack through Amazon Prime, they suspect the rucksack was from the Far East as it had 'Asian' writing on the label.
Mr Strange added: "The rucksack has obviously come from that side of the world so I imagine the scorpion probably crawled in there and died quite a while back.
"It's quite scary.
A spokesman for Amazon has apologised to Natasha and said they are investigating the case
"We've got no idea where the stinger is, but we found the pincers in the Amazon box which is how we know the scorpion had come in that package and not from elsewhere.
"We've looked everywhere for the stinger and hoovered up – I'm just worried it's fallen out and our little boy will find it and put it in his mouth." Matt has now put the scorpion in a 'safe place' while they wait for Amazon to carry out an investigation.
Miss Jones said: "You'd think Amazon would check things like that to be honest.
The most deadly animals on the planet
Thu, October 20, 2016
From the Poison Dart Frog to the Box Jellyfish, here are 10 of the deadliest creatures in the world.
1 of 10
Poison Dart Frog – Just touching them can be lethal, with each frog containing enough poison to wipe out 20,000 mice
"We don't know whether it came in the packaging or in the rucksack itself, but it's quite shocking.
"I'm just glad neither of the kids got hold of it and that it was actually dead."
Paul Hetherington, from Bug Life, confirmed the scorpion is one of the deadliest in the world.
He said: "There is a yellow tailed scorpion now resident in parts of Essex and Kent that came in via the docks, but this is definitely not that type.
"It is almost certainly of tropical origin and the missing tail section makes a positive ID impossible.
"However it is very small, and the smaller ones are the most poisonous."
A spokesman for Amazon said: "I can confirm we’ve apologised to the customer and are investigating."