The pair tried desperately to get out of the sauna
The two women were taking a sauna at their friend’s home in Jicin, northeast of Prague when the door handle came off and the pair were trapped.
Photos that have emerged show the women had smashed glass as they desperately tried to escape.
Police spokeswoman Iva Kormosova said: “The sauna owner thought the women were taking too long to come out and then she went to check on them and found them lying on the floor.”
The pair were inside the sauna for 90 minutes
The sauna owner thought the women were taking too long to come out and then she went to check on them and found them lying on the floor
Emergency services declared the mother and daughter dead at the scene.
The pair of relatives did try and break the windows, but their efforts failed.
Post-mortem examinations are due to be held.
Post-mortem examinations are due to be held following the incident
The tragedy took place on Saturday evening.
South Florida man, Dennis Antiporek, died of asphyxiation in 2015 because of a faulty timer on a sauna.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
However, generally sauna accidents are rare.
People who use saunas to relax or for therapeutic purposes are recommended to not drink alcohol and to not stay in for more than 20 minutes.