The Monaco Grand Prix will pay tribute to the Manchester attack victims on Sunday
The explosion at an Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena on Monday night killed 22 people, many of them children, and caused 64 casualties.
Tributes have been pouring in from all over the world, condemning the attacks and sending messages of support to the people of Manchester.
“What is happening to this world when you're not even safe at a concert,” Mercedes F1 driver Lewis Hamilton said.
“A sad day, my prayers are with you Manchester.”
Fellow Brit Jenson Button said: “My thoughts go out to all effected by the terrible attack last night in Manchester.
Williams pay tribute to Manchester attack victims at the Monaco Grand Prix
“So many young lives lost, so sad.”
And this weekend the rest of the Formula One grid will make their own tribute.
Each of the 20 cars on the grid will carry the message “#MANCHESTER” on the bodywork.
What is happening to this world when you're not even safe at a concert. A sad day, my prayers are with you Manchester #prayformanchester
— Lewis Hamilton (@LewisHamilton) May 23, 2017
Race organisers are also planning a minute’s silence before the beginning of Sunday’s race to mark the atrocity.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Sports stars across the world have taken the opportunity to mark the event in their own way.
Manchester United went ahead with their Europa League final against Ajax in Stockholm last night, sealing an emotional 2-0 win while wearing black armbands and observing a minute’s silence before kick-off.
English and South African cricketers had earlier done the same ahead of the 1st ODI at Headingley while today County Championship players bowed their heads to join in the nationwide moment of reflection at 11am.