The emergency was declared at 3.22pm this afternoon soon after the flight took off from Manchester.
The pilots then told air traffic control they believed a cargo door was open, according to Airlive.
They said the tower then noticed white vapour coming from one of the engines.
- Holiday horror as police officer’s GUN goes off inside airplane cabin
- Major turbulence on on US flight sees 23 passengers hospitalised
The plane circled above Wigan and St Helens for several minutes before returning to Manchester.
Airlive data showing the flight responding to the technical incident
The flight had been scheduled to travel to Cristiano Ronaldo Airport on Funchal, a Portuguese island.
According to FlightRadar24, the flight took off some 35 minutes later than scheduled at 3.15pm.
The easyJet flight was forced to return to Manchester Airport
It has now landed safely back at Manchester Airport.
This is an ongoing story. More to follow…
- Emergency declared on British Airways flight from Vegas to Heathrow
- Heathrow-bound British Airways flight diverted to Toulouse
- BA passengers rushed to Vancouver hospital with smoke inhalation