The Prime Minister has refused to say if she will back further US military action in Syria
The US has threatened to launch fresh military action following an initial cruise missile attack on an Syrian air force base last Thursday.
But Downing Street has reportedly refused to back another military strike despite the Prime Minister throwing her weight behind the initial strikes.
President Trump reportedly thanked Mrs May for her support for the first strikes, whereby 56 missiles reportedly destroyed 20 per cent of Syria’s operational aircraft.
Donald Trump launched 56 cruise missiles at a Syrian air force base
But Theresa May’s official spokesman said the question of backing fresh missile attacks was “hypothetical”.
He added: “Our focus is on building international support for a political solution to end the conflict and bring lasting peace and stability to Syria.”
Commenting on the phone call, which was made while the Prime Minister is on a five-day walking holiday with husband Philip in Snowdonia, the spokesman added: “Theresa May tonight spoke with US President Trump to discuss last week’s chemical weapons attack in Syria and the US response.
“The President thanked the Prime Minister for her support in the wake of last week’s US military action against the Assad regime.
“The Prime Minister and the President agreed that a window of opportunity now exists in which to persuade Russia that its alliance with Assad is no longer in its strategic interest.”
White House spokesman Sean Spicer called on Syrian president Bashar al-Assad to step down
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Our focus is on building international support for a political solution to end the conflict and bring lasting peace and stability to Syria
Downing Street spokesman
Donald Trump’s initial hit on Russian-backed forces came after an alleged chemical gas attack in Idlib province that killed dozens.
The move caused international outrage, pushing relations between the US and Russia to the brink.
Trump launches military strike against Syria
Fri, April 7, 2017
U.S. President Donald Trump launched 59 Tomahawk missiles against Syria in response to its chemical attack on its own civilians
1 of 19
Trump ordered a massive military strike against a Syria
Russian prime minister Dimitri Medvedev said the strikes put Washington “one step away” from clashes with Russia.
The White House toughened its stance over military action yesterday after threatening to launch a fresh barrage of tomahawk cruise missiles if the Syrian regime repeated its alleged use of chemical weapons.
White House spokesman Sean Spicer warned: “If you gas a baby or drop a barrel bomb onto innocent people, you will see a response from this president.”
He also called on Syrian president Bashar al-Assad to go, adding: “You can't imagine a stable and peaceful Syria with Assad in charge.”