Manchester Victoria train station has reopened for the first time since the terror attack
The train station, which is connected to the Manchester Arena targeted by suicide bomber Salman Abedi, had suffered structural damage in the explosion.
Mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, said: “We continue to grieve with the families of those who died, and support those injured.
Victoria station's reopening is an important statement about our city's recovery from this devastating attack
“I’ve been clear that all public bodies must take a families-first approach in the days, months and years ahead to ensure their needs and wishes are fully understood and considered.
“Victoria station's reopening is an important statement about our city's recovery from this devastating attack. It continues to send out the message that we will not be bowed, we will not be divided, and we will stand together.”
Who are the Manchester bombing victims? Thu, May 25, 2017
At least 22 people have died, with more than 60 injured
PA 1 of 13
Sorrell Leczkowski, a 14-year-old schoolgirl from Leeds
All scheduled trams and trains expected to run as the station returns to a normal timetable following the chaos brought on by last week’s attack.
A total of 22 people – including seven children – were killed in the attack at the end of an Ariana Grande concert – the worst terrorist atrocity in Britain since the July 7 bombings of 2005.
Liam Sumpter, regional director at Northern, said: “From Tuesday Northern and all other train operators that use Manchester Victoria Station will be operating a full timetable of services.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
“It has been an exceptionally difficult week for the whole of Manchester and our thoughts remain with everyone affected by this terrible attack. However, our city is incredibly resilient and everyone has stood side-by-side in an unbelievable way.
Burnham hailed the reopening as an important message about the city's recovery
“Our team at Victoria are ready to welcome people back to the station and on behalf of Northern, I would like to thank our customers for their understanding over the past seven days.”
A vigil brought Manchester to a standstill yesterday as hundreds of mourners paid an emotional tribute to the victims of the terror attack, exactly a week after the bombing.
Sir Leese declared it a symbolic moment in the recovery of Manchester
The vigil, illuminated by hundreds of tea candles, was a moment of quiet reflection for a city united in grief.
Sir Richard Leese, Leader of Manchester council, said: “This has been an incredibly difficult week for Manchester and everyone affected by the attack. Our thoughts remain very much with the families and friends at this time.
A vigil was held last night, a week on from the terror attack
“The re-opening of Victoria Station, a major transport hub, is a symbolic moment in the recovery process as the city shows its defiance and resilience by moving forwards.
“I would like to pay tribute to the hard work of the emergency services and railway staff, many of whom were among the first on the scene of last week's devastating events, to return the station to use.”