- At least seven dead after white van plows into crowd on London Bridge
- Shots fired at scene and victims suffering from knife wounds
- Three suspects, possibly armed, killed by police
- Theresa May to hold COBRA meeting early this morning
- Political party's have suspended election campaigning
Three attackers then leapt out and started stabbing passers-by at random after the van had crashed, witnesses claimed.
Armed police shot and killed three suspects, within eight minutes of the original incident on the bridge.
The Met have confirmed the incidents are being treated as a terror attack and in their latest update confirmed seven people were killed in the attack.
A witness, known also as Eric, claimed he saw a van driving on the wrong side of the road before three men jumped out and started running towards bars and restaurants, shouting “this is for Allah”.
He told BBC Radio 5Live: “The three people literally started kicking them, punching them, and took out knives. It was a rampage really.”
Express.co.uk heard from a witness that a white van had appeared to purposefully hit pedestrians on the bridge at 10.08pm.
SKY / TWITTER
A vehicle is said to have 'mowed into people' on London Bridge
Mark Rowley, assistant commissioner for the Metropolitan police, said in statement: “You will understand that our knowledge of the incident is still growing but what we understand at the present time is.
“At 22:08hrs yesterday evening we began to receive reports that a vehicle had struck pedestrians on London Bridge.
“The suspects then left the vehicle and a number of people were stabbed, including an on-duty British Transport Police officer who was responding to the incident at London Bridge. He received serious but not life-threatening injuries. His family has been informed.
“Armed officers responded very quickly and bravely, confronting three male suspects who were shot and killed in Borough Market.
“The suspects had been confronted and shot by the police within eight minutes of the first call. The suspects were wearing what looked like explosive vests but these were later established to be hoaxes.
“The ongoing operation is led by the Met, working closely with British Transport Police, City of London Police, the London Ambulance Service and the London Fire Brigade.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
“At this stage, we believe that six people have died in addition to the three attackers shot dead by police. And at least 20 casualties have been taken to six hospitals across London.
“I'd like to repeat our request for the public to avoid the following areas: London Bridge and Borough Market. This is to allow emergency services to deal with this incident.”
London Bridge terror: Scenes as armed police respond Sun, June 4, 2017
At least two people have died after being after reportedly being struck by a van on London Bridge on Saturday night.
GETTY 1 of 7
Armed police responding to the incident at London Bridge
Another serious incident occurred in Borough Market, where police confirmed shots had been fired.
CNN quoted a witness who said a waitress was stabbed in the throat while a man was stabbed in the back.
One of the men suspected of being behind the deadly attack was shown in a photograph lying on the ground with canisters strapped to his body after he was shot by the police.
Police confirmed reported explosions around London Bridge just before 2am were controlled and monitored.
A third incident in Vauxhall, South London, was later confirmed as not terror related.
Political partys have suspended national general election campaigning.
Reported suspect shot at the scene with canisters attached after terror attack
Witnesses by Monument Station near London Bridge
A Cobra meeting at Downing Street will hear experts' assessment of whether the UK's terror threat level should be returned to “critical” – meaning further attacks could be imminent.
Police boats were searching the river – apparently looking for people who may have been thrown off the bridge.
Following the attack at London Bridge and in Borough Market, London Ambulance Service said that at least 48 people have been taken to six hospitals across the capital.
The service says it has treated a number of people at the scene for “less serious injuries”.
In a statement they said: “We have declared a major incident and continue to work closely with other members of the emergency services.”
Morning after London attack: Heightened police presence at Borough Market & Bridge Sun, June 4, 2017
SIX people have been killed after a horrific terror attack targeted London Bridge and Borough Market on Saturday night. These are the pictures are London wakes up to the tragic scenes
AFP/GETTY 1 of 8
Emergency services still in the area following the London attack last night
An Express.co.uk reporter at the scene said: “London Bridge closed at both ends. Sniffer dogs out.
“Ibrahim, a witness, was walking along the bridge and saw a van ‘mount the kerb and start running over pedestrians’.”
And Tony Murphy told Sky News: “About half an hour ago there was tremendous gunfire that started.
“I thought at first it was fireworks. That was the first instance and only afterwards the emergency started but the whole incident started with gunfire it was significant gunfire, it went on for 10 minutes.”
JOEY MILLAR / EXPRESS
There are also unconfirmed reports of a knife attack following the incident
The police force have been praised for their prompt and brave reaction
In the aftermath of the attack police told people to keep away from the area. The Shard and News UK Building werealso placed on lockdown.
Police helicopter was at the scene along with numerous ambulances and police vehicles.
Dozens of people were on the bridge at the time of the attack and were being questioned by police.
Many were in tears while at least one appearing to be suffering from shock.
The Prime Minister described the incident as a dreadful event.
Theresa May said: “I can confirm that the terrible incident in London is being treated as a potential act of terrorism.
“I want to express my huge gratitude to the police and emergency services who are on the scene. Our thoughts are with those who are caught up in these dreadful events.”
US President Donald Trump spoke to Mrs May to offer his condolences for the “brutal” terror attack, the White House said.
He has also tweeted condolences and support.
Mr Trump wrote: “Whatever the United States can do to help out in London and the UK, we will be there – WE ARE WITH YOU. GOD BLESS!”
The US state department issues a statement, condemning "the cowardly attacks targeting innocent civilians in London".
Police at the scene of the incident in London Bridge
It said the US “stands ready to provide any assistance authorities in the United Kingdom may request”.
Sadiq Khan, the London Mayor, said he is “appalled” by the “cowardly” terror attack.
He said: “There are no words to describe the grief and the anger that our city will be feeling today.
“I’m appalled and furious that these cowardly terrorists would deliberately target innocent Londoners and bystanders enjoying their Saturday night.
“There can be no justification for the acts of these terrorists and I'm quite clear we'll never let them win nor we will allow them to cower our city or Londoners.”
Mr Khan added that he is not an advocate of postponing the General Election, which is currently being held on Thursday.
Jeremy Corbyn tweeted: “Brutal and shocking incidents reported in London. My thoughts are with the victims and their families. Thank you to the emergency services.”
Media in France reported that two French citizens were injured in the attack.
A statement from the Elysee said: “The attack which struck London, days after that which took place in Manchester, is a new abominable and cowardly attack against our free society.
“Fellow French citizens are among the injured. France is putting everything in place to assist them."
Met Police assistant commissioner Mark Rowley arrives at 10 Downing Street ahead of COBRA
At least two Australians are believed to have been caught-up in the violence of the London terror attacks, with Malcolm Turnbull confirming at least one national is in hospital.
The Prime Minister used a televised message this afternoon to provide an update on the attacks which he said were perpetrated by “murderous Islamist terrorists”.
Mr Turnbull said the government was continuing to make inquiries about the other Australian believed to have been directly affected.
He said: “This attack is yet another cruel example of the new reality with which we live — the ever-present threat of murderous Islamist terrorists intent to harm our communities, our way of life and the freedoms we hold dear.”
A Kiwi citizen has been put in an induced coma after being seriously injured in the London attacks, New Zealand media reports.
Oliver Dowling, from Christchurch, was among those injured in the Borough Market stabbing, according to his family.
His sister, Freddy, says he’s in an induced coma after being stabbed in the face, neck and stomach. The injuries missed his vital organs, she says.
More to follow…