Doan Thi Huong being escorted by police to court
Indonesian Siti Aishah, 25, and Doan Thi Huong, 28, from Vietnam, will face the death penalty if they are convicted of murdering Kim Jong-nam at Kuala Lumpur International airport back in February.
The duo stand accused of smearing Kim's face with the toxic VX nerve agent, which has been dubbed by the United Nations as a weapon of mass destruction.
But Aishah and Huong said they thought they were playing a prank for a reality TV show and not carrying out a murder.
Doan Thi Huong (pictured) and Siti Aishah will face death penalty if they are convicted
We've lost an opportunity to cross-examine them… There should be no trial by ambush
Gooi Soon Seng – Aishah's lawyer
Lawyers for Aishah and Huong told the court police had failed to respond to requests calling for CCTV evidence along with statements from three North Korean suspects allowed to leave Malaysia to be put forward.
The trio had been allowed to head home last month along with the body of Kim Jong Nam, as part of a swap deal with North Korea, which banned nine Malaysians from leaving there.
Aishah's lawyer, Gooi Soon Seng, outside the court, said: "We've lost an opportunity to cross-examine them… There should be no trial by ambush.
Houng's lawyer called on police to put forward evidence
Gooi also said one of the three suspects who was allowed to leave Malaysia, Ri Ji U, also known as James, was a key witness and the decision to let him leave the country had "compromised" the defence case.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Hisyam Teh, Huong's lawyer, called on police to put forward evidence, including photos and information from the two phones seized from her.
Malaysia's inspector-general of police, Khalid Abu Bakar, denied officers had "compromised" the case or refused to cooperate with the defence, saying some evidence "can only be provided during the trial".
Huong leaving court, while escorted by police
Mr Khalid said: "We can't be producing all evidence here now."
Four other North Koreans are considered by Malaysian police as suspects, who are understood to have left Kuala Lumpur for Pyongyang on the day of the killing.
The case has been deferred until May 30 after the prosecution asked for more time to collect documents.