An inquest into the death of Katie Rough heard how hospital staff were unable to save her life
York coroner Rob Turnbull formally opened the inquest into the brutal death of schoolgirl Katie today at a hearing in the city.
The only witness was Det Insp Mark Pearson of North Yorkshire Police who gave a brief statement about the circumstances of the death.
He said at 4.34pm on January 9, 2017, following a call to police, officers attended a field located next to Alness Drive in York.
So far one person has been charged with the death of the child
She was taken to York Hospital where, despite the best efforts of staff there, she could not be resuscitated
Det Insp Mark Pearson, North Yorkshire Police
He said: “There they found Katie Sharon Rough with severe injuries. She was taken to York Hospital where, despite the best efforts of staff there, she could not be resuscitated.”
Katie’s death was confirmed at 5.45pm the same day.
She was subsequently identified by her father Paul Rough, 34.
The wounded girl was treated at York Hospital, where she passed away despite resuscitation efforts
The inquest was told a person had been charged with causing Katie’s death and criminal proceedings are ongoing at Leeds Crown Court.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Mr Turnbull read out a statement from Mr Rough conforming that he had identified his daughter’s corpse.
Just two weeks prior to her death Katie had been a bridesmaid when her mother Alison, 38, wed holiday park worker Paul after a decade together.
The inquest was adjourned until the end of the charged person's criminal proceedings
Mr Turnbull adjourned the inquest until the conclusion of the criminal proceedings.
He said: “As there are court proceedings following the death of Katie these proceedings will be adjourned until the criminal case has concluded.”
A 15-year-old girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been charged with Katie’s murder and is due to appear at Leeds Crown Court, West Yorks, next month.