Carlisle Crown Court
A JURY in the trial of a man accused of breaking another man’s jaw in an alleged “baton” attack has been discharged after failing to reach verdicts.
John Martin Porter, 37, was said to have set about Andrew Winder with a metal “police-style” cosh in Maryport on August 19. Mr Winder attended hospital with serious injuries the following day and underwent surgery.
But Porter denied charges of causing him grievous bodily harm with intent, and having an offensive weapon on the same date.
He went on trial earlier this week at Carlisle Crown Court, telling jurors the attack allegation was “wholly untrue”.
After hearing all evidence in the case, jurors retired to start their deliberations. But today (FRI) they were discharged by Recorder Julian Shaw after failing to reach verdicts on the two charges.
Porter, of Mulgrew Close, Maryport, was told the Crown Prosecution Service would announce within seven days whether or not it wished to seek a retrial.
*Porter was found unanimously not guilty by the jury of a further charge which alleged that he intimidated Mr Winder’s partner during a three-week period in September.