The France international has started just one of the last eight matches and was left out of the squad for the Premier League clash against Chelsea last Sunday.
Yesterday, Jose Mourinho admitted on the eve of their Europa League quarter-final second leg that he will not wait indefinitely for the £36million frontman to fulfil his potential.
“Do I think Anthony is a player with great ability? Yes. Do I think he can play successfully for me? Yes. But he needs to give me things that I like,” said the Manchester United boss.
“We are together for almost 10 months and the same way I know the players much better now, the players should also know me much better too.
“The same way I know what the players like, I think the players also know what I like. I have to go with the direction of the players [and] the players have to come in my direction.”
Jose Mourinho has publicly called out Anthony Martial to show him more
Martial has started just one of the last eight matches for United
“That’s why Marcus Rashford, even without scoring goals, even without being since September scoring a goal in the Premier League, even without that he was always a player that I trust.
“He was always a player that I play, always a player that I support because he was always coming in my direction, in the direction of what I want from a player, what I want as a Manchester United player, so I think it is about that.
“It is about getting to know each other better and better and better, and go in the direction of the things that we like.
Martial has struggled to establish himself as a permanent fixture in Mourinho’s United and was similarly warned to shape up back in December. He was also criticised earlier this month along with other United attackers for their toothlessness in the 0-0 draw with West Brom – the France international’s last start.
The attacking quartet that day also included Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who last week in Belgium scored in a fourth successive European trip as United drew 1-1 with Anderlecht.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Man United stars arrive at the Lowry before Anderlecht clash Wed, April 19, 2017
Manchester United players have been snapped arriving at the Lowry before their clash with Anderlecht tomorrow
Play slideshow Eamonn and James Clarke 1 of 10
David De Gea and Antonio Valencia
Lyon and Besiktas have been handed suspended bans from European competition following the crowd disturbances which marred their Europa League match last Thursday.
Tension between rival supporters in the east-central French city spilled into the Parc OL before kick-off, with a barrage of projectiles from the upper tiers forcing fans on to the pitch and casting the viability of the fixture into doubt.
The trouble eventually abated and the teams were able to start the game 45 minutes later than planned, with Lyon recovering to beat the Turkish champions 2-1 in the quarter-final’s first leg.
UEFA subsequently launched action against both clubs and on Wednesday – a little over 24 hours before the second leg in Istanbul – announced bans for both clubs, suspended for two years. The clubs have also been fined £84,000)each, UEFA said.
A UEFA control, ethics and disciplinary body (CEBD) statement said Lyon’s charges were “related to crowd disturbances, setting off of fireworks, stairways blocked, insufficient organisation and field invasion by supporters after their second goal”.
The charges against Besiktas were “related to crowd disturbances, setting off of fireworks and throwing of objects”.
Elswhere, Lyon and Besiktas have been handed suspended bans for crowd troubles
The statement added: “Based on the official reports and the current available evidence at the disposal of the UEFA disciplinary bodies, the CEDB has considered that the supporters of both clubs were responsible for the crowd disturbances at the match.“
Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas was seen urging supporters to calm down and return to their seats at the time, but following full-time the 68-year-old claimed there had been no choice but to “flee”.
He told L’Equipe: “There were many who were wounded but who did not want to sit back down immediately because of pride.
“Because of the firecrackers, some had suffered severe injuries. There were a number of firecrackers that exploded over our fans’ heads so they had only one option, to flee onto the pitch.
“It was fortunate that they invaded it, otherwise they would have been trapped by the Turkish fans. Some of those did not have tickets.
“It was a very difficult experience, but it was up to me to take responsibility, otherwise we would not have been able to play.“