The veteran journalist accused the former Cabinet minister of believing it was “perfectly ok” for police numbers to be slashed while the global terror threat continued to rise.
Speaking on Channel 4 News, Mr Gove claimed counter-terrorism policing had been “protected” from a series of cuts implemented by the Conservatives over their seven years of power.
Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party have targeted their security funding record in the wake of the London Bridge terror attack, the third deadly terrorist incident in three months across Britain.
Mr Gove, the former Justice Secretary, said: “I believe the resources that we have in place for dealing with this security threat are right and proportionate.
Michael Gove and Jon Snow clashed over cuts to anti-terror funding
It seems like you think it’s perfectly ok slashing security at a moment when ISIS was rampant
“More broadly on the nature of the threat we face, as has been made clear it is a significant threat up to 23,000 people – who have been radicalised or share this ideology of hate – and one of the things we need to do is not just make sure we fund the police appropriately but we deal with this ideological challenge head on.”
He then bashed Mr Corbyn, suggesting he was unfit to resolve Britain’s terror threat because he has previously described Islamic terror group Hamas and the IRA as “friends”.
However, Snow interjected and attempted to stop Mr Gove from detracting away from the Conservative’s funding of the security services.
The journalist blasted: “Let’s for a moment concentrate on the record, and the record speaks of a slash in police numbers.
“Half the number of armed police, ordinary police down 20,000 over 15 years, and you are reported to have said, ‘Enough is enough,’ but oh no, it seems like you think it’s perfectly ok slashing security at a moment when ISIS was rampant across the Middle East.”
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Mr Gove insisted Snow’s comments were a “complete mischaracterisation of the truth”, adding counter-terror funding had been “protected”.
London terror raids Sun, June 4, 2017
Police have raided a block of flats in Barking in connection with last night's London Bridge terror attack.
Play slideshow Getty Images 1 of 20
As police continue their investigations following the June 3 terror attacks, a block of flats in Barking is raided for possible suspects
He added: “The fact is spending on intelligence and security has been enhanced. The fact is the commissioner of the Metropolitan Police has said she has the resources that she needs in order to do the job.
“Of course, if she needs more resources then the Prime Minister – if it is Theresa May – will still be there in order to supply them.
“There is a huge choice at this election between a Prime Minister who has experience at the frontline of taking on extremism or shadow home secretary Diane Abbott who can’t even tell us how much it costs to hire a policeman, never mind command any operation confidence.”