Ronald Fiddler, known as Abu Zakariya al-Britani
The depraved terror group released a photo of what is is believed to be Ronald Fiddler, known as Abu Zakariya al-Britani , who detonated a car bomb at an Iraqi army base near the Iraqi city of Mosul.
It has now emerged that his release from the American detention was secured in 2004 by the then-Home Secretary David Blunkett.
Fiddler, also known as Jamul-Uddin al-Harith, was reportedly handed £1million in compensation on his return to the UK from the infamous detention centre.
Mr Blunkett said at the time: “I think you’ll find that no one who has returned in the announcement today will actually pose a threat to the security of the British people.”
The Muslim convert was detained in Afghanistan on suspicion of being an al-Qaeda fighter after US forces seized Pakistan in 2001, but he claimed he had been on a religious holiday immediately before the invasion.
He was released after two years after US officials found he provided useful information about the Taliban’s methods.
The father-of-four, who was born in Manchester, then fled to war-torn Syria. BBC journalist Steve Swann has now claimed he is the Mosul suicide bomber.
The fight against ISIS Fri, November 18, 2016
The battle against ISIS militants (also abbreviated as Daesh, ISIL, IS and Islamic State) continues in the Middle East.
Play slideshow Getty 1 of 183
Forces battle against ISIS
It comes after ISIS released a statement saying al-Britani had carried out an attack in Mosul. The BBC said it had seen ISIS registration papers signed by Fiddler in April 2014.
Chilling footage shows a group explosive-laden death car as they drive towards an Iraqi forces base in the ISIS stronghold. Later, clouds of smoke can be seen for miles after the car drives off-screen.
ISIS later released a statement saying: “The martyrdom-seeking brother Abu Zakariya al-Britani — may Allah accept him — detonated his explosives-laden vehicle on a headquarters of the Rafidhi army and its militias in Tal Kisum village, southwest of Mosul."
A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: "The UK has advised for some time against all travel to Syria, and against all travel to large parts of Iraq.
"As all UK consular services are suspended in Syria and greatly limited in Iraq, it is extremely difficult to confirm the whereabouts and status of British nationals in these areas."