Millie rescued her dad was he was struggling to breathe
Little Mille Murphy used the skills she has been taught as a St John's Ambulance Badger to leap to the rescue of stricken dad James as he collapsed struggling for breath after taking a mouthful of Midget Gems.
The quick-thinking youngster slapped her 40-year-old father hard on his back to stop him from choking and dislodge the tiny sweet – just as she had been taught at her Tuesday evening Badger meetings.
Proud Mr Murphy said: "I'm sure I owe my life to Millie – she's a hero."
I could feel that a sweet had got stuck in my throat and I could not breathe
The keen amateur cyclist had just finished a gruelling training session and opted for a quick sugar fix by grabbing a handful of the jelly sweets from a living room bowl.
Moments later one lodged in his throat and he began to choke. But lucky for him, his quick-thinking daughter, who is a proud member of the Bricknell Badger Sett in Hull, stepped in to help
Father-of-one Mr Murphy said: "I could feel that a sweet had got stuck in my throat and I could not breathe.
"I had all sorts of awful feelings run through my mind and was panicking and thinking 'what am I going to do to get this out?'
She slapped her dad hard on his back to stop him from choking
"Luckily Millie had come down the stairs and saw me and put her training into action.
"She slapped me hard on the back and dislodged the sweet.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
"I don't know what I would have done if she had not been there. I wouldn't have been able to get it out on my own."
Millie has been a Badger, the youngest volunteers with St John Ambulance for children aged between seven and ten, for just a year.
She said: "I came downstairs and saw Dad choking so I hit him hard between the shoulder blades and the sweet flew out.
"We had been talking about what to do if someone chokes, at Badgers, and it made me confident because I knew what to do.
"Afterwards I felt proud that I had been able to help my dad, but a bit worried too, luckily he was fine."
But Mr Murphy, a charity operations director, said it was not only Millie's fast actions, but her aftercare, that also made him feel better.
James grabbed a handful of Midget Gems – one of which lodged in his throat
He said: "Her great training not only meant that she was able to save me, but that she was able to get me a glass of water and sit down with me and wait 'til I was feeling better.
"She is a little superstar."
Mille celebrated her birthday just days after last month's emergency. Her father and mother Shelley Bennett, 42, who works at Hull University, made sure she was "spoiled rotten" as a "special thank you".
Millie is a proud member of the Bricknell Badger Sett
Badger leader Noreen Hackett said: "That Millie has put her first aid skills to use in such a life-saving way makes us extremely proud of her, she showed true courage in stepping up to help when it really mattered."
Colin Hackett, area manager for St John Ambulance, said: "We are all so proud of Millie.
"At just nine years old she had the skills and the confidence to help her dad in a very stressful situation.
"Millie's story shows just why it is so very important to learn first aid skills, it's never too early, or too late, to learn. You really don't know when you might need those crucial skills."