The Queen is set to unveil the memorial later today
Blair, who was accused of having ‘blood on his hands’ after his role in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, is among 2,500 politicians, dignitaries and members of the Armed Forces invited to the service to be held on Thursday.
The Queen is set to unveil the monument, which is dedicated to the 300,000 Britons who served in wars between 1990 and 2015.
Had I been invited I would have gone to honour my son, but nobody invited me
However, some of those who lost family members during recent wars have not received invited to the service and are dismayed Tony Blair will attend.
Reg Keys, whose son Tom was killed in Iraq in 2003, said: “I would not have thought Tony Blair would have been a welcome face at such a service given we were misled over the Iraq war.
“I’m sure his ego will not allow him to stay away from it.
The former PM and the Labour leader pictured at the Remembrance Day service last year
“A lot of families will not welcome his presence and after such a short space of time following the publication of the Chilcot report.
“Had I been invited I would have gone to honour my son, but nobody invited me.”
Blair has been widely criticised for his role in the Iraq war
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
John and Marilyn Miller, who lost their son Simon in the same incident that caused Tom Keys to lose his life, were outraged at the decision.
Mr Miller said: “Tony Blair has been invited but military families have not.
“It is an absolute disgrace. How can that be right?
“We were totally disgusted that we had not been invited. Of course we would have wanted to go, it is a memorial for our son as well.”
Queen honours brave troops in Iraq Fri, October 9, 2009
UK service of commemoration marks end of Iraq
1 of 20
An engraved memorial stone, brought from the Basra memorial wall in Iraq, at St Paul's Cathedral in central London, following a service to commemorate the end of combat operations in Iraq
Jeremy Corbyn chaired the 'Stop the War' coalition before becoming Labour leader
Tim Farron described the fact that families had been left without an invitation as a “careless oversight” and called for the Prime Minister to apologise.
Speaking during Prime Minister’s Questions (PMQs), the Liberal Democrat leader said: “Inviting a relative of each of those killed in Iraq and Afghanistan would have taken up fewer than a third of the 2,500 seats.”
Theresa May responded: “No one from the bereaved community has been turned away and everyone who has applied to attend has been successful.
“I’ve been reassured that if there are any bereaved families who wish to attend then the Ministry of Defence will make every effort to ensure that they are able to do so.”
The memorial has been designed by sculptor Paul Day and features two stone monoliths and a bronze medallion.
It is set to be unveiled in Victoria Embankment Gardens on Thursday to honour British servicemen and women, including more than 800 military personnel who died in the Afghanistan and Iraq wars.