Two islamists arrested on suspicion of plotting terror attacks are to be deported from Germany
Even though no concrete evidence of an impending outrage was discovered, authorities have taken the decision to deport the Nigerian and Algerian citizens from Germany back to their homelands.
They were arrested in swoops in the university city of Göttingen earlier this month.
State prosecutors said they had discussed attack plans but that there was insufficient evidence they were "preparing a serious crime against the state".
"They discussed what someone could do, and several possibilities were considered as well as rejected," said Celle prosecutor's spokesman Bernd Kolkmeier.
The two men are currently in custody pending deportation as part of Germany's crackdown on Islamic terror following the Berlin terror attack when a truck driven into a Christmas market claimed 12 lives.
The changing face of Angela Merkel Mon, November 21, 2016
Express Pictures looks back on German Chancellor, Angela Merkel and her ever changing face.
Play slideshow 1 of 15
Though there was insufficient evidence to charge the men, they will be repatriated to Africa
During the searches police discovered reconstructed weapons, stockpiles of ammunition and black Islamic State flags.
The men will be held in custody until they are flown to their respective countries.
- Iraqi migrant accused of raping 13-year-old girl in Germany
- Bavaria agrees draft law to BAN THE BURKA in public
- Angela Merkel facing election threat from EU Parliament President