Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping will face off in the Octagon some time in 2017
St-Pierre last fought in 2013 when he beat Johny Hendricks to record the 25th win of his professional MMA career.
The Canadian has only twice lost since joining the paid ranks in 2002 but has been on a four-year hiatus from the sport.
But GSP confirmed earlier this year that he had signed a four-fight contract with the UFC and president Dana White revealed he would make his return against middleweight champion Bisping.
UFC's stunning Octagon girls
Fri, July 8, 2016
Express Sport brings you some snaps of UFC's stunning Octagon girls
Zuffa LLC via Getty Images
1 of 10
Chrissy Blair, Brittney Palmer and Arianna Celeste
However, Luke Rockhold, the No 2 ranked challenger in the division, does not think the returning fighter matches up well with the champion's game.
“I think Bisping wins the fight,” Rockhold told UFC Tonight.
“I think it’s a bigger guy.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
"Stylistically, it’s not going to work for [St-Pierre].
"He’s not going to be able to take him down and run around him like he has with other guys in the past.
“He’s been out for a long time.
Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping announced their fight earlier this year
Luke Rockhold lost to Michael Bisping in a title fight last year
"Bisping’s the bigger guy.
"Bisping can scramble and probably out-box him, so I see Bisping winning the fight.”
GSP is rated as one of the greatest UFC fighters of all-time but the UFC's decision to give him a world title shot was still controversial given his time out of the sport.
But a bout with double champion Conor McGregor had even been mooted, although White confirmed earlier this month that the fight was always unlikely.
“We didn’t even come close to a deal with Conor,” White said.
“Georges said he could make 155lb but in the end everyone wants to fight Bisping because they think he’s beatable so he’s going to step up for the middleweight.”