Jason Evans, whose father died after being given HIV, has a document that shows the Government had “conclusive evidence” that Aids was in blood products from April 1984.
But the Department of Health memo shows the Government did not acknowledge this until December 20, 1984.
Mr Evans’s father, who had haemophilia, was infected with HIV through blood products during the delay. He died of an Aids-related illness aged 31.
GETTY STOCK IMAGE
New evidence of a cover-up in the contaminated blood scandal has been discovered
When health minister Nicola Blackwood was asked for the memo by Labour MP Diana Johnson she said it could not be found.
Diana Johnson asked the minister of health for this document last month and the answer was that it had been destroyed – but alas I have found it
But Mr Evans unearthed it in the National Archives. Mr Evans, who is now suing the Government for negligence and breach of statutory duty, described the document as “damning”.
He said: “Diana Johnson asked the minister of health for this document last month and the answer was that it had been destroyed – but alas I have found it.
It was buried in the National Archives among thousands of other documents. “I can see why it might have done the Department of Health a favour had it been destroyed.”
GETTY STOCK IMAGE
Over 120 people have now joined Mr Evans in a proposed joint action against the Department of Health
More than 120 people have now joined Mr Evans in a proposed joint action against the Department of Health.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Mr Evans said: “It was at David Cameron’s direction that the Leveson Inquiry examined the culture, practice and ethics of the press.
“Now, in the face of overwhelming evidence presented by Andy Burnham last month, Theresa May has still not ordered an inquiry into the culture, practice and ethics of the Department of Health in dealing with this human tragedy.
“Thousands of people, including hundreds of children, were infected, many fatally.”
Andy Burnham threatened to take the evidence to the police by the end of July Shocking charts show the NHS could be in crisis Thu, February 9, 2017
Do these charts prove the NHS is in trouble?
Getty Images 1 of 9
The former Labour health secretary said unless the incoming Government launches an inquiry into the worst treatment disaster in NHS history before Parliament rises for summer in July, he will ask the police for a criminal investigation.
Mr Burnham gave the House of Commons examples of inappropriate treatment given to patients, tests on people without their knowledge and results from tests being withheld for several years, last month.
He said what he has discovered points to “deliberate, provable acts of cover-up”.