Former royal bodyguards believe Trump's visit to the UK could be a threat amid his muslim ban claims
Former Chief Superintendent Dai Davies, an ex-head of royal protection, and Ken Wharfe, who was Princess Diana’s bodyguard, believe the timing of the proposed visit poses an “unnecessary threat".
More than 1.6 million people have signed a petition for Mr Trump’s state visit to be called off.
- Half of British voters think President Trump's visit SHOULD go ahead
- Yes, Trump's state visit will go ahead
I really hope common sense prevails and any state visit is postponed until everything has calmed down.
Mr Davies, terror expert
It is thought the US Commanderin-Chief, who was given the invitation by Prime Minister Theresa May at the White House last week, could land in London as soon as the first week in June.
Mr Davies, an expert in terror prevention and who headed London’s public order policing operation, said: “From a policing perspective this state visit will be potentially horrendous. “If anyone tries to take a pop at the President then there is a chance Royals will be caught in the crossfire.
Princess Diana's former bodyguard Ken Wharfe thinks the visit should be postponed until next year
Then you’ve got the potential for terrorists infiltrating any demonstration under the guise of being well-meaning protesters. “I really hope common sense prevails and any state visit is postponed until everything has calmed down.
Personally I’d be rescheduling it for next year.” Mr Wharfe, who protected Diana and sons William and Harry from 1986 to 1994, said: “The state visit would provide the perfect opportunity for a demonstrator to pose a significant threat and it’s very diffi cult to police that.
Trump is expected to visit the UK and meet the Queen and royal family in June
“I don’t see why the Government can’t just postpone the trip on the grounds of security.”
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Another ex-royal bodyguard, Simon Morgan, who now runs the Trojan Consultancy providing close protection, said security at the state visit would have to be “dramatically stepped up”.
More than 1.6 billion people signed a petition for Trump's visit to be cancelled
It should include snipers, an air exclusion zone and stringent checks for spectators.
Mr Morgan said: “President Trump is a far greater target than HM.
Donald Trump's Action Plan Thu, January 19, 2017
What follows is Donald Trump's action plan to 'Make America Great Again' within the first 100 days of Presidency.
Getty Images 1 of 10
FIRST: Propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress.
With state visits, there is always a greater risk when you’ve got members of the Royal Family standing next to high-value targets.” Buckingham Palace does not comment on security matters
- Donald Trump is GOOD news for British economy, says Bank of England
- Londoners protest against Donald Trump travel ban
- ‘Trump’s a b****’ rapper Eminem lays into US President