Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor could fight in Las Vegas
The double UFC champion has repeatedly talked up the prospect of facing the unbeaten boxing in “the first billion-dollar fight” and flew to the US yesterday unexpectedly, cancelling an event in Dublin.
The Irishman was thought to be filming an anti-bullying commercial to ease the concerns of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, who would regulate any fight in Las Vegas.
Conor McGregor: 10 things you didn't know about the UFC star
Wed, November 23, 2016
Express Sport reveals some hidden facts about the UFC star
1 of 10
When McGregor travels for fights, he always needs to carry a passport for his shoes as certain states restrict certain materials. His favourite pair are made from crocodile skin
And while a third party – suspected to be the UFC – was still said to be holding up official confirmation, the deal is supposed to have been done in principal yesterday.
However, Mayweather took to Instagram last night to refute the claims.
Conor McGregor is a two-weight UFC champion
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Conor McGregor's left hand is feared throughout UFC
“There seems to be several rumours floating around media recently however, let the record show, there hasn't been any deals made in regards to a fight between myself and any other fighters,” Mayweather said.
“I am happily retired and enjoying life at this time.
“If any changes are to come, be sure that I will be the first to let the world to know.”
However, Mayweather has previously admitted that a bout against McGregor is the one thing that would get him back in the ring.
Meanwhile, UFC boss Dana White has also rubbished suggestions that the fight is now simply awaiting signatures on the contracts.
“No deal is even close to being done,” White told ESPN.