The pensioner miraculously escaped the blaze even though her fire alarm didn't sound
Crews said the elderly woman was lucky to escape unharmed when the faulty blanket ignited a fire in her home.
The terrified 82-year-old managed to escape the blaze even though her fire alarm did not sound.
The fire erupted at a house in Horspath near Oxford shortly before 10.30pm on Thursday.
Fire services have warned the public to remain vigilant when using portable heating devices Oxford gas explosion: block of flats collapse following huge blast Tue, February 14, 2017
A number of casualties are being treated by emergency services after a block of flats was flattened following an explosion. Emergency crews were drafted to the marina near Osney Lock in Oxford after a ground-shaking explosion.
Play slideshow SWNS.com 1 of 7
The scene in Oxford where a block of flats was destroyed in a suspected gas blast
Unfortunately the smoke alarm was not positioned correctly
Station Manager Paul Webster
Fire engines raced to the scene after receiving reports of smoke billowing out of an upstairs window.
Crews used a high-pressure hose reel to extinguish the fire which burnt through a mattress and bed frame.
Incident Commander Station Manager Paul Webster said: "The lady was very lucky as the smoke alarm in the property had not raised the alarm.
The 82-year-old's bed was left scorched an burnt by the fire
"The 82-year-old lady was in the property but only discovered the fire when she went upstairs.
"Unfortunately the smoke alarm was not positioned correctly so was not able to give early detection to the fire."
Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service is now urging people to take extra care when using portable electrical heating devices.