German police blocked a road near a home for asylum seekers
Six fire brigades and 50 firefighters were called to the scene on early Sunday morning, shortly after the inferno destroyed two apartments, according to a German newspaper.
A police official told BZ Berlin newspaper that “under ordinary circumstances, a fire cannot break out” in an environment like the former school building.
Although all refugees at the shelter were safely evacuated, one female security officer who helped with the evacuation was injured and later taken to hospital because she was poisoned by toxic carbon monoxide fumes.
Police officers have launched an official investigation to understand how all three floors of the building were set alight.
Migrant crisis explained in numbers
Fri, July 22, 2016
A monthly record of 218,394 migrants and refugees reached Europe by sea in October, the UN says, almost as many as the total number of arrivals in 2014. We take a look at the shocking statistics facing the humanitarian crisis.
1 of 47
137 migrants of African origins were rescued by coast guard boats off the coast of Libya
Berlin’s refugee centres are slowly becoming synonymous with arson attacks, as more than 790 cases of crimes against refugee homes were reported before October 2016, and 740 of them were “right-wing motivated offenders”, including neo-Nazis.
Earlier this month, five people were arrested after a huge blaze broke out at a refugee centre in Germany that housed hundreds of migrants.
Extreme right party, NPD, poster seen outside damaged refugee complex in August
Around 80 firefighters and police officers rushed to the scene at the refugee facility in Hoevelhof-Staumuhle, northern Germany, after 30 residents needed urgent medical treatment.
In November, at least two hundred migrants were evacuated from an asylum centre near Berlin after one resident allegedly attempted to burn it down.
Police arrested a 25-year-old Somalian migrant, at the scene, on suspicion of arson, whilst six migrants and a guard were treated for smoke inhalation.
Shortly after the arson attack in November, Bernd Albers, the town mayor said there had been a lot of “false reports” of fires.
Mr Albers said: “I am glad that the police have taken the alarm seriously after more than 50 false alarms having been set off by the inhabitants of the transition home."