Essex residents started to worry after a vet found that two sick cats had been poisoned
Locals worry a cruel killer struck again in Shoeburyness, Essex, when Terry, a two-year-old ginger Tom, and Narla, a ten-month-old white female, were discovered unwell.
After being taken to the vets, it was revealed they had swallowed some kind of poison, and there was nothing that could be done to save them.
In the wake of the tragedy the RSPCA has launched an appeal following reports up to ten other cats have died from similar symptoms since August all in Weaverdale.
It is just so sad
Heartbroken owner Rianne Sharpe said: "We don't know what kind of poison it is that is killing them but I am extremely concerned that it might have been deliberate as it has happened so much. It is just so sad."
RSPCA chief inspector Samantha Garvey said: "It is extremely concerning that so many cats have been reported as dying from poison in the same street in the past few months, and we urge anyone with any information about this to call us, in strictest confidence.
Cutest cats Wed, January 11, 2017
We've put together a selection of the cutest cats and kittens we could find.
Shirley Nordenskiold/WENN.com 1 of 19
Born in 2016 Herman is fast becoming a social media star thanks to his wide-eyed look and adorable Instagram postings.
RSPCA inspectors are not yet certain whether the poisoning was deliberate or accidental
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
"We do not know for sure if these were accidental incidents or deliberate but in the meantime we would ask for everyone in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals, including antifreeze, and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats."
"People should check their car radiators for leaks too."
Anyone with information can contact the RSPCA's appeal line on 0300 123 8018.