Speaking hours after a van and knife rampage at London Bridge left seven dead and 48 injured – 21 of them critically – the Prime Minister declared: “We cannot and must not pretend that things can continue as they are.”
She spoke as the Daily Express today published an exclusive picture of the three terrorists – led by a jihadi in an Arsenal shirt – just moments before they were shot down in a hail of 50 police bullets.
In eight minutes of murder and mayhem on Saturday night, the killers drove a white Renault van at 50mph along a pavement mowing down pedestrians and drinkers outside a pub. One eyewitness said he saw bodies “flying off of the bridge” as the van careered into people.
They were walking around like outlaws heading for a showdown at the OK Corral
After bailing out of the crashed van, the terrorists, armed with 12-inch knives, ran into the nearby Borough Market area, slashing and stabbing victims at random.
Horrified witnesses said the coldeyed killers yelled: “This is for Allah” as they knifed one defenceless young woman up to 15 times.
Unarmed police officers, on and off duty, tried to tackle the knifemen who were also wearing realistic-looking “suicide bomb” vests.
London Bridge attack: The terrorists were filmed walking calmly in Borough Market
They were joined by have-a-go heroes including Sunday Express journalist Geoff Ho who was stabbed in the neck as he bravely tried to stop the carnage.
An on-duty British Transport Police officer and an off-duty Metropolitan Police officer were also wounded in the attack.
Dramatic footage obtained by this newspaper shows the three monsters striding calmly through the streets of Borough Market during their murderous mission.
It shows the men walking purposefully past the Market Porter pub as dozens of terrified drinkers take refuge inside.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
An eyewitness said: “I’ve never seen anything like it. It was like a scene from a western.
“They were walking around like outlaws heading for a showdown at the OK Corral.”
London Bridge terror: Scenes as armed police respond Sun, June 4, 2017
At least two people have died after being after reportedly being struck by a van on London Bridge on Saturday night.
Play slideshow GETTY 1 of 7
Armed police responding to the incident at London Bridge
Seconds later they were cornered outside the Wheatsheaf pub just three doors away and shot dead in a hail of bullets from eight police marksmen. They fired an unprecedented numbers of bullets to ensure there was no possibility they could set off explosions. Their suicide vests were later found to be fake.
One innocent member of the public was hit in the head by police bullets but the injuries are not life-threatening.
Mrs May and Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick paid tribute to the bravery of officers and members of the public.
Last night, after 12 suspects were arrested, there were mounting fears the death toll will rise as 21 victims of the atrocity are still “critical”.
The attackers stabbed people in Borough Market on Saturday night
It was the third terror attack in Britain in less than three months after the Westminster killings in March and the Manchester atrocity last month. Barriers will now be erected on the capital’s bridges prompting questions about why they were not put in place after terrorist Khalid Masood murdered four people on Westminster Bridge.
In a defiant speech, Mrs May acknowledged Britain has shown “far too much tolerance of extremism in our country”.
She is resisting pressure to introduce internment and lock up the estimated 3,000 Islamist extremists currently living in the UK. But the Premier hinted at stronger powers for police and the security services.
That could mean the reintroduction of control orders which can severely restrict extremists’ freedom, bans them from associating with fellow Islamists and keeps them under virtual house arrest. She also declared that the Government will impose tougher prison sentences on convicted terrorists for less serious offences.
Prime Minister Theresa May has said 'enough is enough'
Barriers will now be erected on the capital’s bridges
Urging Britain’s mainstream Muslims to play their part in tackling extremism, Mrs May said: “United, we will take on and defeat our enemies.”
Leaders of the Muslim Council of Britain said they would be stepping up efforts.
Secretary general Harun Rashid condemned the jihadis as members of a “death cult” and said “British Muslims must play our part” in turning people away from the ideology.
He said: “Today’s attack makes us all angry, it makes me angry. And we want to do something about it.
“That is why we agree with the Prime Minister that things must change. Enough is enough. We want to turn people’s minds away from this death cult.”
People hid and were later evacuated by police
Mrs May also called for an alliance of nations to clamp down on internet companies which allow terrorists to spread their ideology. Britain is now braced for similar “low-tech” van and knife attacks particularly in the run-up to Thursday’s General Election.
Counter-terror police, the security services and the SAS are involved in round-the-clock operations to thwart any further outrages.
Campaigning was suspended yesterday but will resume today. A huge investigation into Saturday’s outrage led to a series of dramatic raids yesterday.
Officers stormed the home of the ringleader in a smart new apartment block in Barking, east London. It is understood small explosive devices were used to blast open the front door.
Seven people died in the terror attack in London Bridge and Borough Market
There was an unconfirmed report last night that an acquaintance of the man recently phoned the police anti-terrorist hotline to express concerns about his extreme views. The informant told the BBC the man had justified other terror attacks but was never arrested.
In nearby West Ham a suspect allegedly linked to the killers tried to flee in his pyjamas across a rooftop.
Last night a total of 12 people had been arrested under the Terrorism Act and several addresses in east London had been searched.
Morning after London attack: Heightened police presence at Borough Market & Bridge Sun, June 4, 2017
SIX people have been killed after a horrific terror attack targeted London Bridge and Borough Market on Saturday night. These are the pictures are London wakes up to the tragic scenes
Play slideshow 1 of 23
Police say the white van used was recently hired by one of the killers.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said: “We are making significant progress in identifying the three attackers, and that there were no other suspects at the scene when the attack was carried out.”
He praised first responders, saying: “I am humbled by the bravery of an officer who will rush towards a potential suicide bomber thinking only of protecting others.”