F1 news this week features both Lewis Hamilton and Pascal Wehrlein
LEWIS HAMILTON CAME SECOND IN A TWO-CAR RACE – KANAAN
Lewis Hamilton has become embroiled in a row with Tony Kanaan over comments the Brit made about IndyCar.
Fernando Alonso missed the Monaco Grand Prix in order to race in IndyCar's showpiece event – the Indy500 – qualifying fifth and running seventh when he was forced to retire with an engine blowout.
And Hamilton promptly poked fun at the lack of ability in the series.
"To see [Alonso] fifth [in qualifying] against drivers who are there all year is … interesting," Hamilton said.
F1 Monaco Grand Prix: Stars spotted in the pit lane Sun, May 28, 2017
Click to reveal the best snaps from the F1 Monaco Grand Prix pit lane
Play slideshow Getty Images 1 of 9
But now Kanaan, 2004 IndyCar Series champion and 2013 Indy 500 winner, has hit back at Hamilton.
"It was a pleasure, I think you brought a lot for this year's edition," Kanaan said in a speech aimed at Alonso.
"You're humble, not like other of your F1 colleagues who made some comments this month.
"The guy competed in a two-car world championship last year and came second, so I do not think I can say much."
Wehrlein recovers from Button crash
Pascal Wehrlein will race for Sauber at the Canadian Grand Prix as planned.
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
The German was hit by Jenson Button's McLaren in the latter stages of the Monaco Grand Prix, spectacularly flipping his car onto its side.
Wehrlein was trapped in the car for some minutes although emerged apparently unharmed from the encounter with the barriers.
And he has now confirmed that he will not miss next weekend's race barring any unforeseen setbacks.
"Checks all done," Wehrlein said on Twitter.
"See you in Montreal."
Giovinazzi to test for Haas
Antonio Giovinazzi will get the chance to expand his burgeoning racing CV with seven practice sessions for Haas in 2017.
Antonio Giovinazzi has driven for Sauber and will now test for Haas in 2017
The Ferrari development driver raced as a replacement for Wehrlein in the first two races of the year, finishing 12th in Australia and impressing F1 fans and pundits alike after just one practice session.
And now the 23-year-old will take over from Kevin Magnussen in six Friday morning practice sessions at Haas while Romain Grosjean will give up his seat for one session as well.
“In a year that’s already been filled with great opportunities, I’m proud to have another one with Haas F1 Team,” said Giovinazzi.
“Being the third driver with Scuderia Ferrari is obviously a great place to be, and getting seat time in these FP1 sessions with Haas F1 Team will keep me sharp.
"I’ll be able to take what I’ve learned in the simulator and apply it in actual race conditions."