The full-back returned to Everton’s Finch Farm training base with thanks to fans and team-mates for their support. “I’m a fighter and there is a part of me that is looking forward to this,” he said. “It’s something to start all over again and fight for.”
Coleman, 28, sustained the injury in a horrendous challenge by Wales’ Neil Taylor in their World Cup qualifer against Republic of Ireland in Dublin on March 25. Taylor has been banned for two matches, against Serbia in June and Austria in September.
Seamus Coleman has vowed to return better than ever The top 15 worst leg breaks in football Fri, March 24, 2017
Express Sport brings together a collection of the most gruesome leg breaks in football – not for the squeamish…
Play slideshow REUTERS•Getty Images 1 of 16
GRAPHIC CONTENT: The top 15 most gruesome leg breaks in football
Since then, Coleman has been at his family home in Killybegs, Ireland where he has had several visitors – Ronald Koeman, Phil Jagielka and Republic boss Martin O’Neill all paying him a visit.
“It was great to be around my family and friends back home but I’ve been itching to get back,” said Coleman. “It’s small steps but I’m ready to work.
“I’m really enjoying it and looking forward to the challenge ahead because it’s going to be tough but I’ve had tough journeys before and this is just another one.
Neil Taylor received a straight red for his wild challenge on Seamus Coleman
“I’ve started with very small exercises in the gym. I’ve been doing some walking in the pool and aqua-jogging. It’s just good to be back in and around the club feeling like a professional footballer again.”
The initial prognosis was that Coleman will not expected to return to full fitness until the end of the year.