Various reports in recent weeks had suggested the 70-year-old Republican President could address the House of Commons during his official visit.
Sources have told The Guardian that Mr Trump's visit will take place over the summer while Parliament is on recess, meaning UK officials can avoid directly snubbing the Republican billionaire.
However a Number 10 insider told Express.co.uk that it was “mere speculation” and that nothing had been finalised about Mr Trump’s visit and even the date of his visit had yet to be fixed.
Donald Trump (R) with Theresa May
It is expected that Mr Trump’s visit will stretch from a Thursday to a Sunday in either August or September when it is likely that MPs will be on their extended summer holiday.
The Commons Speaker John Bercow had recently come under fire for voicing his opinion on the possibility of Mr Trump being allowed to speak in the House.
In a recent speech in the Commons Mr Bercow said that he was “strongly opposed” to it, saying that the US President’s “sexism” and “racism” made any official address to Parliament inappropriate.
US President Donald Trump is expected not to address Parliament
The current preferred outline of a visit is now for a weekend visit with discussions said to be underway between the White House, Buckingham Palace and Number 10.
A source described such a plan as “the preferred option at our end”.
The Parliamentary recess ends on September 5 and will adjourn again days later for a month for the party conference season.
- Speaker John Bercow could be sacked in days says MP after Trump row
- Bercow will punish MPs demanding no-confidence vote says commentator
Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow during PMQs
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
The proposed timing would mean that Mr Trump would not be invited to speak to the House.
Officials are also believed to be keen to limit Mr Trump’s public exposure in an attempt to reduce the opportunities for possible protests during a state visit.
Indications are that the Republican President will spend only a little time in London and a sizeable part of his visit being conducted behind a tight security cordon.
Eight controversial state visits to the UK Thu, February 9, 2017
The upcoming state visit by U.S. President, Donald Trump has sparked outrage across Britain. Here are eight other controversial leaders who received a warm welcome by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
Getty Images 1 of 8
1. Chinese President Xi Jinping – 20-23 October 2015
The exact role the Queen, who is the official host of Mr Trump, will play is yet to be finalised.
The monarch, 90, usually spends late August and September in Balmoral and only on rare occasions returns to London during her stay.
One option that seems to be being considered is that Mr Trump could receive an invite to a state banquet at Windsor Castle rather than Buckingham Palace.
Queen Elizabeth could host Donald Trump in Balmoral
Another possibility is for Mr Trump to visit the Queen at Balmoral in Scotland, which would also allow him time to the two golf courses he owns north of the border.
However, a visit to Scotland would raise the political question of how a nationalist administration, under the SNP’s Nicola Sturgeon, would react to such a move.
Former First Minister Alec Salmond though made positive overtures earlier this month during an LBC phone-in when he said that he favoured the President visiting Scotland.
Donald Trump and Theresa May get close during a White House visit
Mr Bercow’s comments caused a stir in the Commons as any invitation to address Parliament in the royal gallery has to require the speakers of both houses to agree.
He said: “I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the house.”
Lord Fowler, the Speaker of the House of Lords had not expressed an opinion at the time.
A number of Tory backbenchers have now called for Mr Bercow to step down and have urged a vote of no confidence in the Speaker.
- John Bercow faces NO CONFIDENCE motion after Donald Trump rant
- Nick Ferrari savages John Bercow as MP tables motion of no confidence
- Andrew Neil makes dig at John Bercow over Donald Trump's state visit