Eilidh MacLeod, 14, had travelled to the Ariana Grande pop concert at Manchester Arena from the Outer Hebrides with her friend Laura Macintyre, 15, as part of a birthday treat.
In a statement, the parents of the 14-year-old schoolgirl, from Barra, Scotland, confirmed she was one of the 22 people killed in the suicide attack.
Laura, also from Barra, was reported missing after Salman Abedi detonated an improvised explosive device as concert-goers left the venue.
However, the 15-year-old was located in a hospital, reportedly being treated for bad burns.
Kezia Dugdale pleaded with Nicola Sturgeon to offer support to victims of the Manchester bombing
Can the First Minister tell us what extra support the Scottish government can offer
Speaking during a sombre First Minister’s Questions session, Scottish Labour leader Ms Dugdale pleaded with Ms Sturgeon to ensure the necessary support for victims was available in the wake of the tragic events.
She said: “Barra is one of Scotland’s most beautiful and peaceful places, and that peace has been shattered by the actions of Salman Abedi.
“The family of Eilidh MacLeod are grieving, the family of Laura Macintyre are just hoping and praying that their daughter will get better.
“A death like this shatters most communities, but it hits particularly hard in an island community like Barra.
“Can the First Minister tell us what extra support the Scottish government can offer to the people of Barra at this difficult time.”
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Ms Sturgeon agreed that her political rival had raised a “really powerful point” and said Scotland had lost a child in “tragic and horrific circumstances”
The First Minister added it would be a “very difficult” situation for any community to deal with, and claimed her government had already liaised with the local council to ensure the level of support is sufficient.
She said: “Of course, I think people will understand and agree with this, the aim will be to keep things as normal as possible for the schools the girls attended.
Army bomb disposal unit called in Police raid in Manchester
Thu, May 25, 2017
Police have called in the Army bomb disposal squad at a raid in Hulme, Manchester. This is the first deployment of British troops in terror-related investigations
1 of 6
Army bomb disposal teams arrive in Hulme, South Manchester
“And to make sure there is the support in place for young people who are going to need it.
“The last point I am going to make here, and often a point revilement in any tragic incident, we all think of people in these circumstances in the immediate aftermath because the media is full of the images.
“But it is often in the days, weeks, months after an event like this that the impact on those closest to those who have died will be felt.
“I am very conscious of the fact the government and working with the council, who will be in the lead, to make sure that support is in place – not just today, next week or next month but for as long as it’s needed.”