Donald Trump has said they have no choice
President Donald Trump had warned North Korea that a missile launch could provoke a response from the US as American military continues to amass around the Korean peninsula.
But on Sunday the Kim regime attempted to launch a ballistic missile following a show of muscle with suspected intercontinental ballistic missiles during a military parade to celebrate the 105th anniversary of the North Korea’s founder Kim Il-sung.
The missile reportedly “blew up almost immediately” but the show of aggression sparked fears of war.
The suspected-intercontinental ballistic missile being paraded in the North Korean capital Pyongyang
Mr Trump’s national security adviser, Lieutenant General HR McMaster, has now vowed “all our options are on the table” as he warned the situation with the rogue state was “coming to a head”.
The President, on Twitter, said: “Our military is building and is rapidly becoming stronger than ever before. Frankly we have no choice.”
Vice President Mike Pence, speaking from South Korea, described Sunday’s missile test as “provocation from the North” as he started on his 10-day tour of Asia to meet with US allies.
Vice President Mike Pence in Seoul, South Korea
North Korea May Be Preparing a Nuclear Test for Kim Il-Sung’s Birthday
Fri, April 14, 2017
North Korea has begun preparing festivities for the 'Day of the Sun,' a holiday celebrating communist leader Kim Il-Sung
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
1 of 9
Military officers visit the birthplace of North Korean founder Kim Il Sung, a day before the 105th anniversary of his birth, in Mangyongdae, just outside Pyongyang
All our options are on the table, undergoing refinement and further development.
Lieutenant General HR McMaster
Mr McMaster also confirmed China had agreed to work with the US to “develop a range of options” after Mr Trump’s vow to take on North Korea without Beijing if it necessary last week.
Mr McMaster said: “All our options are on the table, undergoing refinement and further development.
“The President has made clear that he will not accept the United States and its allies and partners in the region being under threat from this hostile regime with nuclear weapons.
North Korea unveiled its submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs) on Saturday
US Army soldiers prepare for WAR against North Korea
Fri, April 14, 2017
The US military's largest non-nuclear bomb killed dozens of Islamic State militants as it smashed their mountain hideouts, Afghan officials said April 14, ruling out any civilian casualties despite the weapon's destructive capacity. The GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb dubbed the 'Mother Of All Bombs' hit IS positions in Achin district in eastern Nangarhar province
1 of 11
"We are working together with our allies and partners and with the Chinese leadership to develop a range of options.
"This latest missile test just fits into a pattern of provocative and destabilising and threatening behaviour on the part of the North Korean regime.”
The UK Foreign Office has also responded saying it is "concerned by reports of a missile test by North Korea" and is "monitoring the situation closely".
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson also posted on Twitter: “I strongly condemn the latest North Korean missile launch. They must stop these belligerent acts and comply with UN resolutions.”