How much was the world's oldest billionaire worth before he died?
David Rockefeller, the oldest patriarch of the famous Rockefeller family, died from congestive heart failure at his home in Pocantico Hills in New York, United States.
The billionaire philanthropist was the former head of the Chase Manhattan Corporation and heir to the Rockefeller fortune.
What was the net worth of David Rockefeller?
At the time of his death, Mr Rockefeller was worth an estimated $3.3 billion, making him the world’s 604th richest person, according to Forbes’ real-time billionaire rankings.
Forbes’ 2017 rich list ranked him as the 581st richest person in the world as well as the oldest billionaire in the world.
Forbes 2017 Billionaires List Tue, March 21, 2017
Meet The Top 20 Richest People On The Planet
Play slideshow Getty Images 1 of 20
20. Sheldon Adelson, Chairman and CEO, Las Vegas Sands. Net worth: $30.4 B
Where did his wealth come from?
As the last remaining grandson of Standard Oil founder John D Rockefeller, he was born into one of the wealthiest families in the world.
The Rockefeller fortune was mostly made in the oil industry, while Rockefeller himself spent 35 years running Chase National Bank.
The banker inherited the Rockefeller fortune, built on the break of the 20th century
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
Rockefeller was known for his charitable work and made generous donations through the David Rockefeller Fund, which he set up with his wife.
He funded Harvard University’s David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies and also supported Manhattan’s Museum of Modern Art, which was cofounded by his mother.
The wealthy philanthropist died at the age of 101
Who are the top 10 richest people in America?
These are the richest Americans in the world, according to the Forbes 2017 rich list:
1. Bill Gates – Microsoft – $81 billion (£65 billion)
2. Jeff Bezos – Amazon – $67 billion (£53 billion)
3. Warren Buffett – Berkshire Hathaway – $65.5 billion (£52 billion)
4. Mark Zuckerberg – Facebook – $55.5 billion ($44 billion)
5. Larry Ellison – Oracle – $49.3 billion (£39 billion)
6. Michael Bloomberg – Bloomberg LP – $45 billion (£36 billion)
7. Charles Koch – Various businesses – £42 billion (£33 billion)
8. David Koch – Various businesses – £42 billion (£33 billion)
9. Larry Page – Google – $38.5 billion (£30 billion)
10. Sergey Brin – Google – $37.5 billion (£29 billion)