Conor McGregor claims his next fight will be announced "soon" but Dana White disagrees
McGregor is currently on an extended break from competition ahead of the birth of his first child – the Irishman last fought when he became a double UFC champion in November with a win over Eddie Alvarez.
However, the 28-year-old has not shied away from talking up a boxing match with Mayweather which would be the most lucrative fight of all time.
Conor McGregor v Floyd Mayweather: A timeline of the superfight buildup Tue, March 28, 2017
Express Sport takes a look at the timeline leading up to a proposed superfight between UFC star Conor McGregor and retired boxer Floyd Mayweather
Play slideshow Getty Images 1 of 12
Conor McGregor v Floyd Mayweather – how did it all start?
And now he appears ready to unveil McGregor v Mayweather with Las Vegas expected to be the venue.
"Join me in the preparation of my next fight being announced very soon!" McGregor said on Instagram.
Mayweather meanwhile has repeatedly told McGregor to sort out any contractual obligations with UFC before negotiating with him.
White has a contract with McGregor for another four fights and has been heavily involved in talks with Mayweather's camp.
Conor McGregor became a double UFC champion last year
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
However, the UFC supremo claims there is no agreement in place yet, despite reports to the contrary.
“I think it’s progressing but it’s nowhere near being done," White told US outlet TMZ.
"I don’t know [when it will happen], it’s not even close to being done.
"Not even close."