Chelsea have had a bid rejected for Craig Gordon
Blues boss Antonio Conte wants Gordon to replace Asmir Begovic at Stamford Bridge if – as expected – his No 2 keeper quits for Bournemouth.
Celtic’s official line – made crystal clear to Chelsea yesterday after a bid of around £3million was booted out – is that the 34-year-old is not for sale. Gordon’s contract runs until the summer, but the Hoops have the option to extend the deal until June 2018 on the same wages he earns now.
Boss Brendan Rodgers wants Gordon to stay for even longer, but Chelsea’s interest has now brought into sharp focus the need for the Bhoys to offer enhanced terms to the shotstopper and prevent him getting itchy feet.
Express Sport columnist Charlie Nicholas reckons Celtic can put the matter to bed by not only snubbing bids but proving their commitment to Gordon.
Antonio Conte is keen on signing Craig Gordon
Stars who have played in both Scottish and English Premier Leagues
Fri, April 15, 2016
Express Sport takes a look at some of the greatest players who have appeared in both the English and Scottish top flights in recent times
1 of 36
Express Sport takes a look at some of the greatest players who have played in both the Premier League and the Scottish Premier League (now Scottish Premiership)
At the moment, Celtic have a keeper they know can do the job and who is settled at the club
He said: “Celtic should do more than trigger that option, they should put Gordon on a contract that reflects his talents, his worth to the Rodgers revolution and make the decision to stay in Glasgow a formality.
“At the moment, Celtic have a keeper they know can do the job and who is settled at the club. Why allow that situation to change?”
Celtic’s determination to hang onto Gordon would only change if the English outfit offered silly money for the keeper.
Last night there was no indication of that happening, but Chelsea have the cash to act swiftly once Begovic’s exit on a £12m deal is confirmed, and Celtic know the Gordon issue must be addressed.
Meanwhile, Hoops’ strike target Henry Onyekuru has gone AWOL from Belgian side KAS Eupen, accusing the club of trying to force him into a move to Russia.
The hitman would prefer a switch to Celtic, but a £1m offer was rejected last week.
Onyekuru said: “They are frustrating me and my agent for their own interest.
“They promised to let me move in January if I had a good offer.
“Now there are good offers but they want me to sign for CSKA Moscow which I am not interested in. This is unfair and not acceptable.”