British GP will 'definitely be dropped' by Silverstone for this reason: Donington eyed
SILVERSTONE could host its last British Grand Prix for the foreseeable future due to the huge costs of hosting the event.
13:47, Thu, Jan 19, 2017
| UPDATED: 14:12, Thu, Jan 19, 2017
Silverstone circuit is one of the most iconic tracks in racing
Silverstone first hosted the British Grand Prix in 1948 and the event rotated between the Northamptonshire circuit, Aintree and Brands Hatch.
It then became a permanent fixture at Silverstone in 1987 but that run could come to an end after 2019.
The track has a contract for the British Grand Prix until 2026 but early this month a letter from the president of the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC), who own the circuit, revealed a break clause.
Ayrton Senna is just one of the racing legends to have competed in the British GP at Silverstone
If it is activated before this year's race weekend in July, it will trigger a two-year notice period that will see the race dropped by Silverstone after 2019.
The hosting fee for the 2017 edition is just over £17million and the deal specifies a five per cent increase each year.
And while there are major concerns about this figure, the BRDC are hoping to find a new deal.
"We can’t do without the British GP, we can’t do without Silverstone, some compromise will be made, either with Bernie [Ecclestone] or the new people who are taking over F1, which is Liberty," BRDC chairman Derek Warwick said.
But news emerged today to suggest that talks have been unsuccessful and that Silverstone's future as the British Grand Prix host is dead in the water.
“They will definitely drop the grand prix and see what is going to happen over the next two years," a senior BRDC source told The Sun.
Donington Park is said to be the preferred venue if the British Grand Prix were to move
"They will have to give notice. There is no question about it because it is not affordable.”
Express Sport understands the body have also been in touch with the government over potential funding.
However, the likelihood of public money being poured into the track is understood to be slim and would represent investment in infrastructure to support the grand prix and surrounding area as opposed to any yearly cash injection.
Donington Park was previously ruled out as an alternative by its owners due the track requiring significant changes in order to host single-seater racing.
But the business was taken over this month by Jonathan Palmer, a former racing driver whose son Jolyon drives in F1, and he is thought to be open to the idea of the move.
A Series Of Unfortunate Events: Differences between Netflix series and Lemony Snicket film
Crohn’s disease and Colitis: Major study could reveal what triggers painful flare-ups
Celebrity Big Brother 2017: James Jordan blasts 'BULLY' Kim Woodburn amid shock removal
‘Beach of the dead’: Is THIS the most dangerous beach in the world?
Richard Osman joins in with HUGE Twitter row between Susanna Reid and Piers Morgan
Mercedes sign British driver George Russell: He tested for McLaren
Toto Wolff drops hint Mercedes could sign Sebastian Vettel to partner Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff reveals what Lewis Hamilton said to him about Valtteri Bottas
F1 rule changes for 2017 are solid but DRS must GO, claims ex-world champ – EXCLUSIVE
Nico Rosberg on Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton: It won’t be easy at Mercedes
Valtteri Bottas replaces Nico Rosberg at Mercedes and joins Lewis Hamilton
Valtteri Bottas WILL challenge Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes, claims team boss Toto Wolff
Lewis Hamilton sent warning by new Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas
Is Valtteri Bottas to Lewis Hamilton what Rubens Barrichello was to Michael Schumacher?
Nico Rosberg rejoins Mercedes: He'll be back alongside Lewis Hamilton tomorrow!
Williams confirm Felipe Massa return: Brazilian replaces Mercedes-bound Valtteri Bottas
Nico Rosberg retirement will hurt Mercedes for years, claims F1 expert Martin Brundle
Is this the clue Mercedes have signed Valtteri Bottas? Pascal Wehrlein joins Sauber
Lance Stroll must NOT copy this current F1 driver, claims Jacques Villeneuve – exclusive
Williams chief reveals progress on Valtteri Bottas Mercedes move: Announcement this week
British Grand Prix: Silverstone chief reveals government talks over race’s future
Donington Park bought by former F1 driver: New investment and events promised
Manor Racing handed deadline to find investor or team will miss Australian Grand Prix
Are Mercedes preparing shock swoop for Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel to join Lewis Hamilton?
Renault boss exit: Frederic Vasseur reveals real reason he left team
Mercedes have no date for Valtteri Bottas announcement despite reports in Spain