Paramedics were called to Anlaby Primary School in Hull yesterday afternoon.
The boy was taken to Hull Royal Infirmary but died shortly after arriving, Hull Daly mail reported.
It is understood the youngster began choking as he ate his lunch surrounded by staff and fellow students in the school canteen.
Teachers and pupils were ushered out of the room as members of staff tried to resucitate the pupil.
Anlaby Primary head teacher Gareth May said: "The whole school community is deeply saddened by this tragic event and the thoughts of everyone connected with the school are with the child's family."
A spokesman for East Riding Council said: "Very sadly, we have been informed that a foundation stage pupil at Anlaby Primary School has died.
"The council is offering close support to the school and to the child's family."
The local authority is also working with staff and families at the school as they try to come to terms with the tragedy.
An inquest into the death will be opened at Hull Coroner's Court.
More to follow.