The emergency was declared at 3.22pm this afternoon soon after the flight took off from Manchester.
The pilots then told air traffic control they believed a cargo door was open, according to Airlive.
They said the tower then noticed white vapour coming from one of the engines.
Airlive data showing the flight responding to the technical incident
- United Airlines flight makes emergency landing soon after leaving Lond
- Holiday horror as police officer’s GUN goes off inside airplane cabin
The plane circled above Wigan and St Helens before returning to Manchester.
This is an ongoing story. More to follow…
- Emergency declared on British Airways flight from Vegas to Heathrow
- Heathrow-bound British Airways flight diverted to Toulouse
- BA passengers rushed to Vancouver hospital with smoke inhalation