Borussia Dortmund’s Champions League quarter-final first-leg match with Monaco was postponed after three explosions near their team bus on the way to the stadium last night.
The match was cancelled swiftly after the attack, which left Dortmund defender Marc Bartra requiring surgery on a broken bone in his wrist.
But Dortmund will take on Monaco tonight (5.45pm) at the Westfalenstadion with Thomas Tuchel’s squad training this morning.
Dortmund tweeted: “The team currently trains and prepares for the game tonight. #bvbasm”
— Borussia Dortmund (@BVB) April 12, 2017
Police cars escored Dortmund's players into training at their Hohenbuschei HQ this morning.
Dortmund’s police chief says "everything humanly possible" will be done to ensure the German club’s game against Monaco takes place safely after the suspected terror attack.
The local police force – Polizei Nordrhein-Westfalen Dortmund – held a joint late-night press conference along with the football club and the Dortmund public prosecutor.
Police chief Gregor Lange said: "This evening at 19.15pm there were three explosions in the surroundings of the BVB hotel.
"We must start from (the position this was) a targeted attack on BVB's team."
Dortmund police also revealed a letter had been found, claiming responsibility for the attack.
"The prosecutor's office Dortmund confirms the discovery of a letter near the scene of the crime. The authenticity is currently being tested," the police force posted on Twitter.
Police snapped outside Borussia Dortmund's training ground after bus attack Wed, April 12, 2017
There was a strong police presence outside Borussia Dortmund's training ground this morning in the aftermath of the attack on their team bus last night
Play slideshow AFP/Getty Images 1 of 9
Police were pictured outside Dortmund’s training ground after the bus attack
The match will now take place tonight with increased security measures in place.
"The stadium and the surrounding area remain the focal point for police," added Lange.
"We're preparing a major police presence for tomorrow and will do everything humanly possible to ensure the match can take place safely."
The police earlier said in a statement that the explosives "may have been hidden in a hedge near a parking lot".
Monaco fans left facing an extra night in Germany were offered accommodation by Dortmund fans via the hashtag #bedforawayfans on social media, while the club said on Twitter that all their supporters staying in Dortmund on Tuesday night would be reimbursed up to 80 euros (£68) by the club.
The French club added in a statement: "Faced with this difficult situation, AS Monaco wishes to express its full support to the Borussia Dortmund team and all the components of the club."
Borussia Dortmund's team bus was attacked on the way to play Monaco
Borussia Dortmund defender Marc Barta was the only player hurt in the blast
Goalkeeper Roman Burki was sitting at the back of the team bus alongside Bartra, and told Swiss newspaper website Blick how events unfolded.
He said: "We left the hotel at 7:15pm and went down the street. The bus turned down the main street, and there was a giant explosion.
"I was sitting in the back row next to Marc Bartra, who was hit by fragments of the broken glass.
"After the bang, we all ducked in the bus and those who could threw themselves to the ground. We did not know what had happened.
"The police were quick on the scene, and we were safe.
"We're all shocked – nobody thought of a football match in this moment."
Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke admitted the squad were shaken after 26-year-old Bartra, who arrived from Barcelona last summer, had to be taken to hospital.
He said in a statement: "An explosive strike on the bus was carried out immediately after the departure from the hotel.
Borussia Dortmund attack in pictures Tue, April 11, 2017
Get Quotes on Home Insurance
A football player has been injured after three bombs exploded near Borussia Dortmund's team bus ahead of a Champions League match against Monaco
Play slideshow EPA 1 of 23
A view on the damaged windows of the Borussia Dortmund's team bus after it was hit by three explosions in Dortmund, Germany
"Three explosive devices were placed and triggered on the edge of the road.
"The whole team is in shock. We have to get through this. It will not be easy for the players. I hope that the team will somehow be able to return to the field.
"Borussia Dortmund is especially strong in extreme situations. Everyone will come even closer together and I'm sure the team will feel this."
The decision to postpone was made after a meeting held at the stadium between European football's governing body UEFA, representatives of the two clubs and local authorities.
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin was "deeply disturbed" by events in Dortmund and backed the decision to reschedule the match.
He said in a statement: "I was deeply disturbed by the explosions which occurred in Dortmund. The decision taken to postpone the UEFA Champions League match between Borussia Dortmund and AS Monaco was the correct one since we must always prioritise the safety and security of all fans, team officials and players."
The Dortmund players returned to their hotel last night following the explosions, before heading out for training again this morning.